"AP English" - January 8, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Mattbelc16 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:18 am Hi everybody. This is my first time posting. Nice puzzle.
Welcome to the group. If you have any questions please feel free to ask
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

Well, it took me a while but I am finally ON SHORE. When I woke up in the wee hours of Saturday morning and was unable to go back to sleep, I found the first step, but have been stuck in too many rabbit holes until my second cup of coffee today. I'm pretty sure that isn't the first time coffee has done the trick; need to remember that!
Last edited by Hidden in 3D on Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sara
mitchel674

Post by mitchel674 »

I'm still stuck. I dislike the puzzles with the asterisks. I feel even worse when I cannot solve the meta and the important clues have been listed for me!
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Wow, what am I not seeing?
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

John77 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:16 pm
KayW wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:58 am
JennyByrd wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:12 pm Solved! Hope everyoNE is having a warm and safe weekend. I thought of Lady Bird when I sNappEd this shot in the volcano national park.

Jg77F32BBF-4DBD-415A-BBC4-69D8773B7178.jpeg
Favorite bird of cruciverbalists ...of a certain age :) Is it just me, or has the poor NENE gone extinct within crossword grids? I think it's been years since I ran across one there. But that might be because I migrated more to metas than standard puzzles.
I haven't seen Asta, Nick, or Nora recently either. Very suspicious.
I think they're all looking for Celebes ox, who has also disappeared. (or is it Celebes'?)
Rufus T. Firefly
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

damefox wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:56 pm Still filling out the grid here, but I found myself so outraged about one of the clues that I couldn't sit and finish without commenting first. (I don't think this is any way related to the meta, but I'll put a spoiler over it in case people don't want to read about the grid before they finish.) 21A is completely inappropriate. That is not funny - that is not a pun you get to just put a ? after and call it a day. People who are starving are not fasting. As food insecurity rises across the country, this is appalling to see in the WSJ crossword. I may just not finish and break my more than year long streak in protest of this. It's possible yesterday has put me more on edge than I would normally be, but this is simply not okay regardless.
Agree
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

I think I'm on shore but no Guinness yet.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Al Sisti wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:22 am

I just watched two Thin Man movies a couple days ago. They are so perfect together... and I have a HUGE crush on Myrna Loy!
She too has been a long-term grid resident. As for the others, wait till tomorrow.
Jay
Henry Paul

Post by Henry Paul »

I AM ASHORE!
(Actually not, I'm still a man, but still....)

Thanks (?) to the Australian Rhone-blend 4am wake up can't sleep noodle I was able to figure out one part, then noodled a bit more this morning to get the final, no extra nudges required.

Joining all you revelers on the beach, but since i'm trying to be good about a "dry January" will join with some sparkling apple juice.

'till next week!
Tony S

Post by Tony S »

Ashore after nearly throwing in the towel. I had just texted a friend that I had no clue on the meta this week and I took one more look and, bingo --- there it was. Why it took so long remains a mystery to me. I thought the grid and meta were very good this week; I hope to see Muller & Milam again.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Good Sunday morning muggles

First welcome to our newest muggle - Mattbel16

And an apology to the three muggles who were on shore yesterday but I missed - BarbaraK, norrin2 and JennyByrd

We have 8 on the ship and 169 on the shore

Emerging to the ship's bar are
Commodore
orsys
mitchel674
and Fishoutowater

and the steady stream making their way to the shore in addition to the three I missed yesterday are
JeanneC
Jud
mel87
horsesense
ALS
Cindy N
LizD
Prozach
scraps
RichA2
Nlobb
flamingbear
cinemagical
Colin
JennyByrd
Billkatz
Burak
Barry
Mattbel16
Tony S
minimuggle
Hideen in 3D
and Henry Paul

Good luck to all winning the mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

I too have slept on it twice and come back to it twice but still LAS.
zacmoretz

Post by zacmoretz »

Ashore! Excellent, fun puz! We will have a vesper martini in honor of the new James Bond movie shortly to be released, looking forward to it.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

zacmoretz wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:42 pm Ashore! Excellent, fun puz! We will have a vesper martini in honor of the new James Bond movie shortly to be released, looking forward to it.
In honor of Vesper & the beginning and end of the greatest Bond scene ever:

"I'm the money."
"Every penny of it."
- - -
"How was the lamb?"
"Skewered. One sympathizes."
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Still can't see it. Perhaps Dry January was a bad idea. Wouldn't say no to a nudge.
Matthew
zacmoretz

Post by zacmoretz »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:48 pm
zacmoretz wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:42 pm Ashore! Excellent, fun puz! We will have a vesper martini in honor of the new James Bond movie shortly to be released, looking forward to it.
In honor of Vesper & the beginning and end of the greatest Bond scene ever:

"I'm the money."
"Every penny of it."
- - -
"How was the lamb?"
"Skewered. One sympathizes."
Yes! I was just recounting it to my kids. I love that skewered line. They just rolled their eyes.
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

Since we're sharing...here's one I finished last week. I'm specifically attracted to this subject as I am a vinyl freak (NO, NOT THAT KIND!).

IMG_6967.jpg
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

tim1217 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:28 pm Since we're sharing...here's one I finished last week. I'm specifically attracted to this subject as I am a vinyl freak (NO, NOT THAT KIND!).

IMG_6967.jpg
Puzzles?? I'm still trying to piece together memories of the 70s!
KayW

Post by KayW »

Tom Shea wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:13 am
KayW wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:58 am

Favorite bird of cruciverbalists ...of a certain age :) Is it just me, or has the poor NENE gone extinct within crossword grids? I think it's been years since I ran across one there. But that might be because I migrated more to metas than standard puzzles.
I think they're all looking for Celebes ox, who has also disappeared. (or is it Celebes'?)
They ANOA to be found!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

tim1217 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:28 pm Since we're sharing...here's one I finished last week. I'm specifically attracted to this subject as I am a vinyl freak (NO, NOT THAT KIND!).

IMG_6967.jpg
That is the kind of jigsaw puzzle I like - you can separate sections and they have straight lines. The one I am doing has shades of blue and black with other pieces that are shades of white and yellow. And no discrete objects
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director