"The Party Starts at 10" - December 31, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

The Party Starts at 10 jpr SOLUTION.gif
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
Richard

Post by Richard »

What is wrong with โ€œbring in the new?โ€
Omnibus

Post by Omnibus »

OK, so now I am curious about this โ€œotherโ€ possible answer. I submitted the right one, but spent all weekend trying to suss out what the alternate one is that so many said exists.

Please share, fellow Muggles.
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

Wow. Sometimes reading the posts here intimidates me too much. I saw this answer a few days ago after completing the grid. Then I saw posts discussing the clever mechanism, the solid connection to the title, etc and I felt I was missing something more elaborate.
After finding nothing else I did submit this as my answer tonight, and Iโ€™m certainly glad I did.
Happy New Year indeed!!
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Richard wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:07 am What is wrong with โ€œbring in the new?โ€
The clue for ONE is the reason. 3-2-1 is the sequence of the final countdown (the party starts at 10)

And loosely, the phrase comes from a poem by TENnyson.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

Richard wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:07 am What is wrong with โ€œbring in the new?โ€
That's what I saw first, and I nearly just settled for that. But with the hint at 66A (and 67A), you are counting down from 10 and then take the letters when you count down to "three, two, one".
Omnibus

Post by Omnibus »

Wouldnโ€™t it have been more appropriate to title it โ€œThe Party Starts at Eightโ€, since you would be counting the 8th, 9th, and 10th spaces in each of the 10-letter answers?
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Omnibus wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:17 am Wouldnโ€™t it have been more appropriate to title it โ€œThe Party Starts at Eightโ€, since you would be counting the 8th, 9th, and 10th spaces in each of the 10-letter answers?
Nope. Put your finger on the top of each 10 letter word and do the New Year's countdown. 10, 9, 8... The letters you land on for 3-2-1 as hinted by the next to last across clue says to use those letters.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

JRS51 wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:10 am Wow. Sometimes reading the posts here intimidates me too much. I saw this answer a few days ago after completing the grid. Then I saw posts discussing the clever mechanism, the solid connection to the title, etc and I felt I was missing something more elaborate.
After finding nothing else I did submit this as my answer tonight, and Iโ€™m certainly glad I did.
Happy New Year indeed!!
Everyone's solving experience is different from others, sometimes quite different (and perhaps occasionally you may be one of the few who got a different feeling from the puzzle). Don't let others' reactions to the puzzle overly influence your thinking and decision.
Bob Cobb

Post by Bob Cobb »

Forgot about the puzzle, and in my hurry to do it before close, read the meta directions as a โ€œfour-letter wordโ€ you might hear. Submitted โ€œYEARโ€ as the conclusion to the phrase.

๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿผโ€โ™‚๏ธ
Emmajane

Post by Emmajane »

Two things I likedโ€”
The answers โ€œdropped downโ€ like the Times Square ball, the mushroom, and the Boise potato (loved those photos!) across the puzzle from left to right; and
The answer phrase is from TENnyson...
โ€œRing out the old, ring in the new,
Ring, happy bells, across the snow:
The year is going, let him go;
Ring out the false, ring in the true.โ€
Alfred, Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam

Very fitting. Happy New Year, Muggles!
fuggedabowdit

Post by fuggedabowdit »

DBMiller wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:20 am
Omnibus wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:17 am Wouldnโ€™t it have been more appropriate to title it โ€œThe Party Starts at Eightโ€, since you would be counting the 8th, 9th, and 10th spaces in each of the 10-letter answers?
Nope. Put your finger on the top of each 10 letter word and do the New Year's countdown. 10, 9, 8... The letters you land on for 3-2-1 as hinted by the next to last across clue says to use those letters.
3-2-1 RING IN THE NEW at Midnight -
12 oclock - 12 letters in answer
Never trouble trouble til trouble troubles you !
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

yeah, I was a little unsure of the solution, but later saw the countdown clue - which sealed it for me. :)
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
fuggedabowdit

Post by fuggedabowdit »

Never trouble trouble til trouble troubles you !
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

not really, because we were in bed by nine :)
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

JeanneC wrote: โ†‘Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:38 pm I wonder how many of us are in Florida at least part of the year? Maybe a Florida meetup is actually doable. ๐Ÿค” Speaking out of supreme self interest, I am about 60 miles south of Jacksonville but will go anywhere in the state for a meet and greet with this group!
I think you are onto something there Jeanne, there are probably a lot of folks who vacation in Florida and there are a fair number who live here too. I'm guessing Flagler Beach is close to where you call home based on my 80+ mile drives to Daytona. There are Muggles in Tampa and other spots. Once there are more vaccinations and we do not have to fret so much about dying if we meet we can talk about a "Muggleup" somewhere in the Sunshine State?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Mister Squawk

Post by Mister Squawk »

FWIW Mike's Saturday weekend puzzle was a lot of fun -- finally wrapped it up this morning. I'm looking forward to more challenges from Mr. Shenk in 2021!
John77

Post by John77 »

Glad I knew about the TENnyson connection because I simply missed the countdown reference.

I also thought the possible "Bring out the new' would be an odd violation of symmetry. Nice puzzle.
Wir sind zu frรผh alt und zu spรคt schlau.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

John77 wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:41 am Glad I knew about the TENnyson connection because I simply missed the countdown reference.

I also thought the possible "Bring out the new' would be an odd violation of symmetry. Nice puzzle.
I originally highlighted BRING IN THE NEW and the lack of symmetry bugged me too. As soon as Reaized that the 3-2-1 clue was significant, then I knew it was RING. I wonder if BRING was the 2nd answer people talked about.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

The poetic reference might be clear to anyone for Tennyson, but I'm not so sure that Matt intended it when he gave the puzzle its title.

A couple of years ago, I was sure that the inspiration for Matt's Yma Sumac puzzle was a piece that appeared in the New Yorker 57 years earlier but had been anthologized often ("Yma Dream" by Tom Meehan). So I wrote to Matt to confirm. His answer: "I'm afraid not! Never seen that article."
Jay