"The Party Starts at 10" - December 31, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Kas

Post by Kas »

On shore, in time for fireworks over the water.
Just this once, I feel Isaac should get shore leave.

Happy new year all’a y’all MUGgles!
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

Lyman wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:12 pm Took a while for me to find just one potential answer, so am amazed at those who quickly found two potential answers. I think that I'm ashore, but perhaps I'm just celebrating NYE with Isaac.
In the same boat here. I am on shore, as reported earlier, with what had better be the answer, but there is just a tiny niggle about it in my mind. Having seen the answer that I found, however, there is no way that I will be able to see any other answer without a chart. So, Monday will tell.
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

On Shore.
Thanks to everyone for making this group a home during 2020.
Looking forward to meeting many more of an ever-growing meta population during 2021.
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

Trey wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:58 pm Marion and I are declaring ourselves on shore - don't really feel 100%, but it's got to be it! So............we are on the sand.

Luck to all.
Like you, I was a little unsure, but...

reconsidering another clue given inside the puzzle, if you got what I got, I think we're there!
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Ashore....I think. Happy New Year
rosiegirl

Post by rosiegirl »

Made it to shore again this week without a nudge...woo hoo! Hoping that the answer I found is the correct answer...I agree with a previous post that, even though I am a little unsure, now I can't see anything else. Happy New Year to all!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

oldjudge wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:49 pm I guess I am a creature of habit—I was expecting the puzzle today and didn’t even consider that it might come out early. Quick solve, but I think there are two answers and that Matt would accept either if this were a MGWCC. Happy, healthy New Year to all. I have my glass of Pappy ready for midnight to kiss this dumpster fire of a year goodbye.
Pappy? I'll be there to help if asked. I don't want a muggle to have to suffer through a glass of Pappy alone

T
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

One answer or two, right or wrong what has made 2020 tolerable is a community of smart, non judgmental, caring individuals. You all did not have to be so nice, I would have loved you anyway (wait a minute that sounds like song lyrics!). But seriously folks the level of support and camaraderie that I have experienced on this blog is unmatched anywhere. I count all of you as one of the few things I have to be thankful for in 2020 (particularly as I listen to the ravings and fireworks of a VERY drunken group of neighbors next door - but hey the end of 2020 should be celebrated). Without this diversion I would have had little to look forward to all year. I would never have guessed that a crossword puzzle and musings on same would be the rock on which I anchored my sanity. It either says a lot for this group or little for my sanity, and I am going to pick the former. Thank you my friends and Happy New Year
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

whimsy wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:33 pm
CPJohnson wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:19 pm And, I am the only person in the world at Isaac's bar. I see nothing.
You are not alone, Cynthia!

I'm having some computer "issues" and am having to "lay low" for the next week or so waiting for delivery of a charger/connector.

Co-incidentally, I'm also having to lay low in terms of meta solution --
Screenshot 2020-12-31 152808.png

I feel as though I'm seeing too much -- too many snippets of pathways that aren't leading to anything definitive --- will keep on sniffin' ---
thank GOD you were not dressed in orange, that probably saved chew!
tigerfly222

Post by tigerfly222 »

Within 5 seconds of completing the grid I saw something that I can't un-see.
So I'm submitting it and declaring myself ashore.

Happy New Year!
May the glittering promise of 2021 be true to its word...
candle.jpg
ddb13

Post by ddb13 »

Onshore yesterday, unless the sand bar moves. First time in a few weeks so not so certain. Happy New Year to all.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

OK, I've submitted. A possible second answer pointed out by Meta Daughter just isn't satisfying and doesn't fit any meta pattern I've ever seen. Happy New Year to everyone, and thank you all for your participation in this blog. What a community!
fireworksSmaller.png
Cynthia
Prozach

Post by Prozach »

On shore. Happy New Year to all!
mbryant

Post by mbryant »

On shore. Happy New Year.
PeterLeea1a

Post by PeterLeea1a »

Fast swim ashore this week. Happy New Year everyone!
azdataboy

Post by azdataboy »

So sad to be done already
PJM

Post by PJM »

Happily ashore!

These metas and this forum have been an oasis of happiness in the bleak landscape of 2020.

Many thanks to everyone at WSJ who produce these weekly wonders, to Bob our Cruise Director, and all who make this a special place.

Bollinger NV Brut please. Cheers and Happy New Year to all!
Eguinan

Post by Eguinan »

Onshore. Quick swim this week! Happy new year muggles!
Scraps

Post by Scraps »

I'm still fairly new to solving metas. When I got ashore this morning, it marked the first time I solved the meta for every puzzle in any month--and it was a month with five weeks.

The streak will probably end next week. I'm taking a course that I expect will keep me away from the puzzle the next two weeks.

Loved the poem, Bird Lives.

Happy New Year, everybody.
Jarrod

Post by Jarrod »

Ashore. Found an answer, but having trouble coming up with the construct.