"Past and Present" - December 24, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

SewYoung wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:08 am
DrTom wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:17 am
MajordomoTom wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:16 pm

Don't give me Claus to retaliate, you'd paw deerly. That's me pullin' yule log.

"I couldn't keep up with you, you were running so fast", Tom santa'd (the "p" is silent, as will the knights).
You are vexen me and have even dashered my hopes of staying on top of the pun war...I feel so cupid! I'm just going to donner my rude elf suit, get blitzened and dancer around the festivus tree until I comet.
(Sung to the tune of "Bridge on the River Kwai Theme Song (Colonel Bogie's March))
Comet. It makes your teeth turn green.
Comet. It tastes like kerosene.
Comet. It makes you .......
So get some Comet and ....... today!
Sorry. I couldn't help it. Childhood memories.....
Love it! I have another song, also sung to the tune of "The Bridge on the River Kwai" and it is how I remembered the principal German leaders, however it is quite rude I'm afraid and I cannot publish it here - still when you talk of Childhood memories. I guess I had a more bawdy group of friends?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

lbray53 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:35 am I just crawled up on shore but only because Dr. Tom recognized my struggles in the surf and private messaged me for the "sole porpoise" of nudging me in the right direction. I was right there early and often but failed to see . . . (I will complete this on Monday if I remember.)

I am on shore but will keep my distance from the celebratory crowd. I am just thankful that Dr. Tom prevented me from becoming a Grinch! It was getting close.

The double pun is for you Dr. Tom!
So this guy ends up in court because he had entered a zoo and genetically altered two porpoises to stop the aging process and in effect give them an infinite life span. To get out of the zoo without detection he had to cross through the King of the Jungle exhibit and brought tranquilizer darts to insure the big cats would not wake and harm him. The judge gave him a 25 year sentence and when the man asked "but Judge, what did I do that was so wrong, what are you charging me with????"

The judge answered, "Crossing sedate lions for immortal porpoises of course!"

Dang the set up some of these things need....
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

DrTom wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:00 am
DrTom wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:17 am

You are vexen me and have even dashered my hopes of staying on top of the pun war...I feel so cupid! I'm just going to donner my rude elf suit, get blitzened and dancer around the festivus tree until I comet.
(Sung to the tune of "Bridge on the River Kwai Theme Song (Colonel Bogie's March))
Love it! I have another song, also sung to the tune of "The Bridge on the River Kwai" and it is how I remembered the principal German leaders, however it is quite rude I'm afraid and I cannot publish it here - still when you talk of Childhood memories. I guess I had a more bawdy group of friends?
Tom-Do the numbers 1,2,2,0 find their way into that little ditty?
tigerfly222

Post by tigerfly222 »

Ashore!
Couldn't see it right away, but after taking a break and coming back to it, I got it in about five minutes. Phew!

Drank up all the glühwein last night with friends, so maybe for now I'll stick to a sparkling water to re-hydrate a bit.

Happy Boxing Day to all! (Or St. Stephen's Day as it is celebrated here in Catalunya)
mflaminio

Post by mflaminio »

Happy New Year, all. Love this group! On shore!
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

. . . got in too deep to see the diamonds
Down to dark to see the gold
Now he won't let go of the shovel
And he can't dig out of the hole
(Randy Travis song)

Well, that pretty much sums up my approach this week. Won't go into details til Monday, but went down a deeeeep hole. Ever been so confident that the path you are on is the correct one, if you could just execute correctly? Pretty much describes my crossword week - - often wrong, but never in doubt.

Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays / Feliz Navidad to everyone.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

oldjudge wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:16 am
DrTom wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:00 am
Tom-Do the numbers 1,2,2,0 find their way into that little ditty?
They do indeed!

I guess you might say the ending could be "lost in dictation"? :D
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Hallelujah, I am on shore! That was not easy for me. Required a huge amount of reverse engineering, but what I have is solid. I'll have a Magners hard cider later.
Fishoutowater

Post by Fishoutowater »

I’m still on the boat and see all of you onshore.... I think I need a nudge from anyone who is willing to provide one (and I can tell you the rabbit hole I seem to be in). Thanks
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

I feel bad for Isaac - he thought he was going to have the holiday weekend to himself and here I am crying into my egg nog, unable to solve the easy meta. Glad I have an extra day to solve this week!
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Just realized I forgot to post I made it to shore on Thursday.

I would post my favorite pun that I heard back in the 70s from John Records Landecker on WLS, however it is at least touches on being politically incorrect. Wonder if anyone else remembers it as it featured Crystal Gayle, Dr. No and a handbag.
Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Merry Christmas! Aboard after stumbling into a few rabbit holes. Time to work off that eggnog
ReB

Post by ReB »

On shore on Boxing Day, after much befuddlement and a few false trails. After following Bob's advice in #204, which I think helped to rev up my mind, I then went back to one of my earlier ideas and suddenly things fell into place in a straightforward manner.
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

LizD wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:26 pm
EmilyW wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:57 pm On shore and celebrating with a coconut imperial stout called Short Skirt Long Jacket from my local brewery Limitless. Glad to be back on the beach after staying on the boat last weekend.
That is a fantastic name for a beer! Raise your hand if you get the reference and we'll all know what generation you hail from. 🤣
I love that song by Cake but I am WAY past that generation!
It’s possibly the only cool thing I know. 😂
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Saturday morning (at least I think it is Saturday)

And welcome to our newest muggle Carol H

We have 8 keeping Isaac in business and 158 on the shore enjoying the warmth and sunshine

new to the ship's bar are
cbarbee002
SusieG
and Fishoutowater

Getting to the shore are
Susan G
mitchel674
JeanneC
edot
dk letter
FirstMax
RichA2
mbryant
zacmoretz
Jud
Amy
Carol H
mary F
Jace54
jhseeman
tigerfly222
Olof
Matthew
Wordsmith
ladybird
Dennis
Cindy N
Roberta
and ReB

Good luck to all and stay safe
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Arthur Q. Welles

Post by Arthur Q. Welles »

Ashore! Give me a Guinness.
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

flyingMoose wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:02 pm
SewYoung wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:21 pm
LadyBird wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:38 pm I'm obviously making this harder than it is.

Isaac sends holiday greetings to all the Muggles. I'm the only one here at the bar, nursing a drink and a meta. Since it's just me, I encouraged him to head home and celebrate with his family. I sent him off with a large tip (on Bob's tab, of course). He was nice enough to leave the bar open--even the top shelf stuff!

Maybe I'll find the answer in my stocking!
Hi LadyBird. I'm there at the bar with you, just haven't had time to post my status. I will look at it again in a little while and see if I can get off the ship.
Merry Christmas to all and to all a Good Night.
I’m there with you two. Tamales and chili for me shortly. Perhaps that will help.
Me too! I’ve been there all along as usual. Thank goodness we have the extra day. Yesterday was a whirlwind but today I can redouble my efforts. Good luck to all of us still
ASEA.
Powers2020

Post by Powers2020 »

Jace54 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:32 pm
Jace54 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:23 pm I forgot that the puzzle came out earlier this afternoon, but it was a quick solve. Another great one from Mike!
Looks like I did not get listed on the Friday report, so bumping this post to get in the Saturday update.
Same here Bob. Made it to shore Wednesday evening. Thanks!
flyingMoose

Post by flyingMoose »

EVJ wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:17 pm
flyingMoose wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:02 pm
SewYoung wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:21 pm

Hi LadyBird. I'm there at the bar with you, just haven't had time to post my status. I will look at it again in a little while and see if I can get off the ship.
Merry Christmas to all and to all a Good Night.
I’m there with you two. Tamales and chili for me shortly. Perhaps that will help.
Me too! I’ve been there all along as usual. Thank goodness we have the extra day. Yesterday was a whirlwind but today I can redouble my efforts. Good luck to all of us still
ASEA.
See today’s WSJ 111D. :)
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

ASHORE! I have questions about the title so will be looking for enlightenment in the Monday discussion. Good luck to everyone!!