"In Bed By 9" - December 18, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Holy crow. I have no idea how I missed this one. I only got to shore with the help of many helpful nudges. OK, basically I was dragged to shore. Thank you to all of you for the nudges.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Dr. Tom probably hasn't "herd" your response. If he has, he's be"side" himself.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:25 am
Hidden in 3D wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:05 am ON SHORE, but I spent far too long staring at this yesterday. Finally gave up and tended to more time-sensitive issues, like the fact that I had not wrapped any Christmas presents except the ones that had to be mailed. Sometime in the wee hours of the morning I came to the realization that I may have been on the right path to the meta solution all along, and hoped I would remember that path when I was fully awake. For once it worked! (Usually my dream-like "insights" are forgotten by the time I get out of bed, or they are so goofy that I laugh at myself for having any hope in them at all.) I had submitted my answer before finishing my first cup of coffee. Now I have the rest of the day to prepare some of my annual Christmas confections, buckeyes and toffee. The biggest challenge I will face is finding a place to hide my homemade goodies from my husband. If I'm not careful, he'll eat too many before I get a chance to share them with neighbors and friends.
Speaking up for the goodie starved husbands - we are crushed that you put your neighbors and friends ahead of your beloved.
He actually asked me not to make any Christmas cookies this year to save him from himself. But I knew he didn't mean it!! :lol:
Sara
mflaminio

Post by mflaminio »

I can’t figure this one out and I have tried almost everything. Nudge, Wendy would be welcome but obviously wouldn’t submit! Thanks. Email mary.flaminio@gmail.com
Flananigans

Post by Flananigans »

Back from a long weekend, late start with the puzzle, but on shore. Fun!
Fishoutowater

Post by Fishoutowater »

Hmm... seems like I keep going into rabbit holes. I could use a nudge if you don’t mind! Thanks!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

MajordomoTom wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:51 pm Dr. Tom probably hasn't "herd" your response. If he has, he's be"side" himself.
Seems the name "Tom" on this bboard implies an affinity for puns? You and Dr. Tom had better gird your loins for a pun-off, and hope they don't get tender. Whoever wins will be knighted Sir Loin!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Hidden in 3D wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:12 pm
Hidden in 3D wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:05 am ON SHORE, but I spent far too long staring at this yesterday. Finally gave up and tended to more time-sensitive issues, like the fact that I had not wrapped any Christmas presents except the ones that had to be mailed. Sometime in the wee hours of the morning I came to the realization that I may have been on the right path to the meta solution all along, and hoped I would remember that path when I was fully awake. For once it worked! (Usually my dream-like "insights" are forgotten by the time I get out of bed, or they are so goofy that I laugh at myself for having any hope in them at all.) I had submitted my answer before finishing my first cup of coffee. Now I have the rest of the day to prepare some of my annual Christmas confections, buckeyes and toffee. The biggest challenge I will face is finding a place to hide my homemade goodies from my husband. If I'm not careful, he'll eat too many before I get a chance to share them with neighbors and friends.
Speaking up for the goodie starved husbands - we are crushed that you put your neighbors and friends ahead of your beloved.
He actually asked me not to make any Christmas cookies this year to save him from himself. But I knew he didn't mean it!! :lol:
Tell your husband we are in complete agreement
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

mflaminio wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:18 pm I can’t figure this one out and I have tried almost everything. Nudge, Wendy would be welcome but obviously wouldn’t submit! Thanks. Email mary.flaminio@gmail.com
emailed to you
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MR.HBBT3

Post by MR.HBBT3 »

Been struggling today. Kept it aside all weekend and it is 6pm and trying to bring the boat home. Nudge please?
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

HunterX wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:43 pm
MajordomoTom wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:51 pm Dr. Tom probably hasn't "herd" your response. If he has, he's be"side" himself.
Seems the name "Tom" on this bboard implies an affinity for puns? You and Dr. Tom had better gird your loins for a pun-off, and hope they don't get tender. Whoever wins will be knighted Sir Loin!
what are the steaks?

You can't make me cower.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Ashore!
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Totally LAS. I've seen some things, but they're leading me nowhere. Hoping a Bulleit on a large round rock will fire a synapse or two.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
haari

Post by haari »

"In bed by 9" well, it's just a bit before 7 here as i write this... had the grid finished by 9 pm Thursday, but seem to be lost in a fog on board the ship... have seen what looks like a few certainties, but just ain't getting this one... just maybe i'll be extending my streak of defeat... maybe the solstice will shake things up for me an i'll start another solving streak next week!
an it harm none, do as thou wilt... :D :D :D
spotter

Post by spotter »

Ashore with much more guidance than I should’ve needed
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

My husband has all the cookies he wants in the freezer. We made plenty!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Good evening

Our final report for this week has 21 on the ship and 150 on the shore

And we have our newest muggle MR.HBBT3

Since noon the additional muggles on the ship are
JeanneC
dudeski
Mary F
Dennis
NuYear68
Haari
Scott M
Fisoutowater
and Mr.HBBT3

Joining the shore crew looking for HiddenIn3D's homemade goodies are
JRS51
Kris
Susie G
Flananigans
mwickham
Amanda Hugginkiss
bread-girl
Powers2020
Jeremy
Bird Lives
Eguinan
Richard
Softie
the Thurman8er
and spotter

have a good and safe week everyone.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
ReB

Post by ReB »

I'm going to add my name as a last minute addition to the ashore list.

I decided on one last look through this evening - and almost like a miracle inspiration finally struck me: the pieces fell together, I followed up, and the answer appeared before my very eyes right where it was supposed to.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

So all my candy canes have been given away. My puzzle is so written over I can’t read it. My highlighter is all used up. People at the bar are moving away from me because I keep drumming my pen and mumbling to myself. Suddenly a ray of light shines down upon me. Actually it’s the spotlight from the jazz trio performing in the corner. Nevertheless, I am cautiously optimistic that I have stumbled upon the meta answer. Too late to get to the beach; even the tiki torches are out. A glass of Conundrum red, please!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

Ashore after putting some pieces together. Those of us familiar with a certain feature of the iPhone may be slightly advantaged in finding the solution.