"In Bed By 9" - December 18, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

MajordomoTom wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:00 pm
Kris Zacharias wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:43 pm On shore. Lately I have been solving the meta too late to be included in the final count. Following up on Dr. Tom's punning with bird names last week, I am glad that I am not quite bringing up the rhea today.
which rhea?

the one that's gonna or the one's that's drya?

:)
Given that this is a forum for cruciverbalists, I would say neither of those choices, but rather, "logger." :D
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

I accept that "correction" to my weak contribution.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

You can see a meta-mechanism anywhere. In church today, we did the "O Antophons" (names of Christ and basically the verses of "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel "). The description said " the first letters of the titles taken backwards form a Latin acrostic of 'ERO CRAS' which translates to 'Tomorrow, I will come. I leaned over to my husband and whispered "Its like a meta mechanism". He just shook his head.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

LadyBird wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:37 pm You can see a meta-mechanism anywhere. In church today, we did the "O Antophons" (names of Christ and basically the verses of "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel "). The description said " the first letters of the titles taken backwards form a Latin acrostic of 'ERO CRAS' which translates to 'Tomorrow, I will come. I leaned over to my husband and whispered "Its like a meta mechanism". He just shook his head.
In PD James's marvelous "Death of an Expert Witness," the hymn numbers on display in the Wren chapel play a vital role in the plot. A highly recommended book -- after you finish the Bertie & Jeeves books, of course!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:45 pm
LadyBird wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:37 pm You can see a meta-mechanism anywhere. In church today, we did the "O Antophons" (names of Christ and basically the verses of "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel "). The description said " the first letters of the titles taken backwards form a Latin acrostic of 'ERO CRAS' which translates to 'Tomorrow, I will come. I leaned over to my husband and whispered "Its like a meta mechanism". He just shook his head.
In PD James's marvelous "Death of an Expert Witness," the hymn numbers on display in the Wren chapel play a vital role in the plot. A highly recommended book -- after you finish the Bertie & Jeeves books, of course!
In the very first episode of Endeavor that we watched, the hymn numbers played a role too, pointing Morse to the killer. I've read nearly all of PD James--I don't remember that.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:45 pm
They did the same thing in one of the Endeavor episodes
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Eguinan

Post by Eguinan »

Blissfully, LAS but will take a nudge if anyone’s out there.
burak

Post by burak »

This could have been a notch harder and still gettable but this version is nice too. Too real though.
NuYear68

Post by NuYear68 »

Still on the ship - I'm fairly certain I have the mechanism to solve, but can't establish a starting point.

Oh well - looks like my 0-for-December streak will continue.
Eguinan

Post by Eguinan »

Onshore with a nudge. Thanks Wendy!
Powers2020

Post by Powers2020 »

Finally ashore! I was trying to overcomplicate things, but happy to be off the boat!
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

Ashore listening to the 1969 version of Joe Cocker’s “With a little help from my friends”

-Dudeski
bread-girl

Post by bread-girl »

I think I have a start but I am afraid I’m stuck :( anyone out there willing to lend a nudge?
Richard

Post by Richard »

On shore with a nudge from Wendy.

Not submitting.

Have a problem with this one.
bread-girl

Post by bread-girl »

I am on shore now! (Thanks nudgers for your help ;) )
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well, I think I have an answer, it is 6 letters and it really fits well with the theme BUT I am quite unsure because it is not 100% and this looks like one of those where it will be 100%. I will probably submit it anyway because I can make an argument. I will not be cowed and will holler long and herd in the dogied way I do when I have a beef (Oh, come on you certainly didn't expect I'd quit the puns yet, I mean I was rhealy challenged a few posts back!). Oh, and if I do not submit the puzzle creator's solution but win the argument I'll no doubt yell Whoopie Ti Yi Yo!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Richard wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:44 pm Have a problem with this one.
Sing it, brother!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

DrTom wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:09 pm Well, I think I have an answer, it is 6 letters and it really fits well with the theme BUT I am quite unsure because it is not 100% and this looks like one of those where it will be 100%. I will probably submit it anyway because I can make an argument. I will not be cowed and will holler long and herd in the dogied way I do when I have a beef (Oh, come on you certainly didn't expect I'd quit the puns yet, I mean I was rhealy challenged a few posts back!). Oh, and if I do not submit the puzzle creator's solution but win the argument I'll no doubt yell Whoopie Ti Yi Yo!
Definitely a 100%'er
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Onshore. Why did I make that so much more complicated than it is? Now back to that “Week 3” (ha-ha) MGWCC.
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

DrTom wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:09 pm Well, I think I have an answer, it is 6 letters and it really fits well with the theme BUT I am quite unsure because it is not 100% and this looks like one of those where it will be 100%. I will probably submit it anyway because I can make an argument. I will not be cowed and will holler long and herd in the dogied way I do when I have a beef (Oh, come on you certainly didn't expect I'd quit the puns yet, I mean I was rhealy challenged a few posts back!). Oh, and if I do not submit the puzzle creator's solution but win the argument I'll no doubt yell Whoopie Ti Yi Yo!
Maybe you need to "steer" at the puzzle a little longer Dr. Tom. :lol:
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!