#578 - "Double Stuff" - June 28, 2019

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Well I somehow pulled that one out! Man, a couple days of solid stumpers... and now MMMM and PGWCC tomorrow (whoops -- today)? How's a guy supposed to find time to loaf around the pool?
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Phew, got it. Great meta. I had right idea, wrong rabbit hole for the longest time.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

I didn't see AMATI the first time through, so I got stuck with FOUR. I looked for an S for a while, but didn't see it and FOURS was not particularly clicking / satisfying answer. So I applied the title to FOUR to get EIGHT, which I submitted with great confidence.

Even though I was wrong, I really liked this meta.
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

Great meta. Congrats to all who solved it.

Once again, a week 4 failure for me. I don't think I could gotten to "fours" as an answer. But if I had, I probably would have said "Nah, that can't be it".
Jack Sullivan
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

It was really only in a circuitous way that I got this one! After a bunch of empty rabbit holes* I looked up the Taj Mahal and the largest cities in South America, mostly for something to do. But seeing Agra and Lima, two common crossword answers, made me go hmm. I tried for ages to find more examples where a short, common answer could be substituted for a long, unusual answer, but most of them felt forced. Edible pods = okra, maybe. Stringed instruments = lyres? Lutes? So I gave up on that. Later, I happened to put together XXLI and MAXX (which was probably most people's starting point) and aha! But I wouldn't have thought anything of it if I hadn't found Lima already.

*My favorite rabbit hole was trying to come up with alternative clue answers that started with "double." Again it started feeling forced after a couple of them. Set up = double cross, yes. Stringed instruments = double basses, better without the plural, but O.K. Catch again = double take? Eh. I quit when I couldn't think of any "double" phrases where the second word started with a vowel :-)

Like many I wasn't totally happy with "fours" as an answer--although Week 4, and the Fourth of July, are timely fours--but it was a 5-letter word, and I figured it was as close as I was likely to get! Also, I'm glad I didn't know that "Every Man Has a Woman Who Loves Him" is on the "Double Fantasy" album (which I found out on Crossword Fiend). That could have kept me unproductively busy for a while!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Did anyone else notice that the browser tab was titled "Centerpiece" instead of "Double Stuff"?
Hector

Post by Hector »

On the Crossword Fiend blog Matt says that "Centerpiece" had been the "placeholder title," and he's not sure how it was retained in the pdf.