#5 - "Can You Give Me Directions?"

Creative and challenging meta crosswords (currently on hiatus) from: www.pgwcc.net
Meg

#5 - "Can You Give Me Directions?"

Post by Meg »

This one is interesting! Not there yet, but I have an idea.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Did you get there? While the answer is definitely “somewhat stilted,” this puzzle was a strong challenge that could have gone down a number of paths. I enjoyed it!
Meg

Post by Meg »

LesY, yes! I got it. The AVX puzzle by Francis Heaney, is, on the other hand, killing me!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
TMart

Post by TMart »

Got the first step (which was very elegantly constructed) but can’t seem to make anything out of it. I’m hoping the “stilted” part isn’t too confusing.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

I got the "trick" for both puzzles, but haven't narrowed down anything aha-able yet.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I am wandering aimlessly, as usual!
Hector

Post by Hector »

I have an answer that makes sense, is stilted, and is obtained in a meta way that seems clearly on the right track, but there are a few oddnesses in the last step that make me think I'm not seeing everything (or maybe seeing too much).
LesY

Post by LesY »

Meg - glad you got it! Btw all - it may be obvious but I’m Les Yonce over on WSJ.

To those still working on PGWCC, it sounds trite and we say it every time, but think about the title and stick to the process. Don’t worry about the stilted thing until the end.
TMart

Post by TMart »

I think I got it. My answer makes sense from the circuitous path I followed, and it is definitely stilted. Great idea and construction for a meta, and mostly well executed, except for the stilted part.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Oh my gosh, I think I might have the answer now. I was definitely looking for the wrong path before. Now I am convinced that I have the right main idea, and I have a stilted answer, but I'm not 100% sure of a couple things that led me there. I'm just excited to have an answer to turn in :D
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Wow... I just got it and submitted my answer. What an absolutely brilliant construction! PGW is a force to be reckoned with!
Anita

Post by Anita »

Very nice construction! Just got it, after some head scratching.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

That was fun!

I hadn't planned to do this puzzle as I wasn't crazy about a couple others of these. But I had some time so decided to go ahead and give it a try.

The grid was difficult but mostly doable. I only had to google a couple letters, not entire swaths. (And there is one entry I still don't get, even with google).

When I saw the first step of the meta, it was lovely and made me want to keep going and find the rest.

For those who have oddness or ambiguities, there's a piece of this that I suspect you haven't noticed yet.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Hector wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:19 pm I have an answer that makes sense, is stilted, and is obtained in a meta way that seems clearly on the right track, but there are a few oddnesses in the last step that make me think I'm not seeing everything (or maybe seeing too much).
I feel the exact same way, and after Barbara's post, now I'm starting to doubt myself. I'll probably submit it anyway, and if it's wrong, I'll let y'all laugh at my answer.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

FrankieHeck wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:09 am
Hector wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:19 pm I have an answer that makes sense, is stilted, and is obtained in a meta way that seems clearly on the right track, but there are a few oddnesses in the last step that make me think I'm not seeing everything (or maybe seeing too much).
I feel the exact same way, and after Barbara's post, now I'm starting to doubt myself. I'll probably submit it anyway, and if it's wrong, I'll let y'all laugh at my answer.
It won't surprise me if your answer is right; I just think you're missing part of the elegance.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

BarbaraK wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:38 am
FrankieHeck wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:09 am
It won't surprise me if your answer is right; I just think you're missing part of the elegance.
You are right, Barbara. I still am not 100% sure, but I just discovered another layer of elegance that does help confirm my guess. I cannot imagine having the kind of brain that could construct these puzzles! And I'll shut up now :lol:
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Wow - I'm pretty new to this fascinating little world of metas, but this one was pretty cool!

-Matt
pgw

Post by pgw »

BarbaraK wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:36 am That was fun!

I hadn't planned to do this puzzle as I wasn't crazy about a couple others of these. But I had some time so decided to go ahead and give it a try.

The grid was difficult but mostly doable. I only had to google a couple letters, not entire swaths. (And there is one entry I still don't get, even with google).
Glad you decided to give it another crack and enjoyed this one. I'm curious - what's the entry you don't get?

- pgw
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

pgw wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:17 am
BarbaraK wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:36 am That was fun!

Glad you decided to give it another crack and enjoyed this one. I'm curious - what's the entry you don't get?

- pgw
It was 96A.

I had DOGGY for 75D, giving me NYID there. I tried an I and even an E for that intersection but neither helped. I never considered an O.

I also assumed that the non-adjacent state pairs were intentional distractors and that this was one of them.