"You Need Glasses" - August 14, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Tina

Post by Tina »

On shore. Had to use Google because I didn't know 36D, 40D or 40A. It was very interesting to learn about 36D, though. Although I have no intention of trying it. There is no substitute for coffee!!
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

Ashore!
Sister-in-law and I teamed up again. I couldn’t do it without her. Good luck to everyone!
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

tonyrobots wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:05 pm On shore within minutes of completing the grid! Another delightful construction from Mr. Gaffney. Happy weekend, everybody!

(Edited to remove what could be construed as a very mild spoiler)
Aw Gee, what'd you have to go and do that for? I still don't have a clue. I see only one thing that I will submit as a Hail Mary if I don't figure out the real answer before the deadline.
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

I have made it safely to shore! And I realized that I forgot to post here last week that I solved that puzzle too...
bskptkl

Post by bskptkl »

Ah finally. Getting worried I was never gonna see it.
arlecchino

Post by arlecchino »

first puzzle I’ve done with my WSJ mug B)

the theme is totally out of my area, but with some help from the internet I’m sure of my answer now!
crosswordnewbie

Post by crosswordnewbie »

New here! Started doing these with my brother during quarantine, and now we’re addicted! Having a little trouble getting this meta going, anyone care you nudge me in the right starting direction?
boharr

Post by boharr »

crosswordnewbie wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:55 pm New here! Started doing these with my brother during quarantine, and now we’re addicted! Having a little trouble getting this meta going, anyone care you nudge me in the right starting direction?
PM'd you
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

crosswordnewbie wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:55 pm New here! Started doing these with my brother during quarantine, and now we’re addicted! Having a little trouble getting this meta going, anyone care you nudge me in the right starting direction?
Sent you a nudge
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

Finally on shore after a two week slump with the help of my kids. Going to enjoy the day with drinks that are not liqueurs. Good luck to all still working on the puzzle!

Kathy
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good afternoon muggles. An extended report as we have 15 on the ship and 107 on the shore

First we welcome our newest muggles: Grover, BeTheLight, answerPfinder, and crosswordnewbie

Without further ado, here are the muggles keeping Isaac company
JoePickett
femullen
SewYoung
spotter
Gman
Dow Jones
Cindy N
MajorDomoTom
Richard
MaineMarge
seans
your humble cruise director helping Isaac as a way of paying for my bar bill
jag
crosswordnewbie

And on the shore are
Hector
sanmilton
Meg
Tmart
Al
BrianM
laura M
Cindy
Jace54
Heidi
Peter
C=64
Joe R
BethT
Beth A
Beth C
paige11
Wendy
Kay
Anita
yourpalsal
Dom
Emmajane
Alan H
Josh
Steveb
Mmac
jean
Mark L
LittleGood
higgysue
Les Y
jeremy
Chris
BarbaraK
LaceyK
joeequavis
Scott M
Glyn
Geezer
Larrry
SusieG
damefox
oldjudge
M and M
Jordanian
boharr
dplass
Frankie
Miki
David K
Toby
AnswerPFinder
TPS
whimsy
stmv
cherikee
streroto
joe
Lbary
Trey and Marion
the Thurman8er
ALS
NuYear68
Tom S
brulo
BeTheLight
Paul D
Schmeel
DBMiller
HeadInHome
Bill T
John B
Mark C
Joel
tim1217
ladybird
Commodore
ky-mike
Eric P
joes
Fred
GuyL
Homer
Jack
Markhr
Rita and George
janet
tonyrobots
hunkra
gatogato
ImOnToo
PJM
ErikThor
Mary F
Carla
Grover
Matthew B
DrTom
Tina
Brian
EVJ
bskptkl
Bill Katz
Diane
LaPetiteFlora
arlecchino

Good luck to all and stay safe

Hopefully those on the ship will see the light
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
crosswordnewbie

Post by crosswordnewbie »

“On shore!” as you guys say. Thanks to those who helped me get it started!
YoungestCopperRiver

Post by YoungestCopperRiver »

CopperRiver wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:24 pm Finally on shore after a two week slump with the help of my kids. Going to enjoy the day with drinks that are not liqueurs. Good luck to all still working on the puzzle!

Kathy
One of the kids here! Fun one to figure out with mom and brother. Drinks on you! (:
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

i'm still on the boat...
meowmiao71

Post by meowmiao71 »

EDIT: On shore thanks to a lifeboat. Thanks for your help and friendly welcome!

Hi there! I'm new to this forum and am stuck like a bug in amber. I would be extremely grateful for a nudge so I can sleep tonight! Thank you so much in advance for any assistance. I solemnly swear not to submit my answer in the interest of fairness.

In the meantime...Isaac, another White Claw please! Any flavor but grapefruit.
Last edited by meowmiao71 on Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boharr

Post by boharr »

meowmiao71 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:25 pm Hi there! I'm new to this forum and am stuck like a bug in amber. I would be extremely grateful for a nudge so I can sleep tonight! Thank you so much in advance for any assistance. I solemnly swear not to submit my answer in the interest of fairness.

In the meantime...Isaac, another White Claw please! Any flavor but grapefruit.
Sent you a PM.
wordsmith

Post by wordsmith »

Hi all, I'm also new! My husband introduced me to these puzzles at the beginning of quarantine...and it's become a weekend addiction for both of us. It's a great diversion, and it's another good reason to look forward to Friday!

I've been chasing rabbits on this one...could I ask for a nudge as we cruise closer to happy hour?
MileHighSolver

Post by MileHighSolver »

On shore after two nights of looking at this with a few glasses of Jefferson's Ocean Aged At Sea, which is appropriate for two evenings with Isaac. Perhaps a beachcomber is in order tonight.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

wordsmith wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:41 pm Hi all, I'm also new! My husband introduced me to these puzzles at the beginning of quarantine...and it's become a weekend addiction for both of us. It's a great diversion, and it's another good reason to look forward to Friday!

I've been chasing rabbits on this one...could I ask for a nudge as we cruise closer to happy hour?
Sent you a PM
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
matthewmoravec

Post by matthewmoravec »

On shore, I really like this kind of meta :)