What are you watching..

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
boharr

Post by boharr »

TPS wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:08 pm If anyone who has not yet subscribed to Disney+ would like to “borrow” a login feel free to PM me. I am happy to share mine.
Very generous. The wife just subscribed the other day. Seems we will be watching Hamilton tonight.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

boharr wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:54 pm
TPS wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:08 pm If anyone who has not yet subscribed to Disney+ would like to “borrow” a login feel free to PM me. I am happy to share mine.
Very generous. The wife just subscribed the other day. Seems we will be watching Hamilton tonight.
I subscribed last night so I could watch Hamilton this morning. The grandkids will make is worth the cost anyway.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Hamilton, with the original Broadway cast, was fantastic. When you consider what you would have paid for center orchestra seats, which would not have had as good a view, this was an incredible bargain.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

oldjudge wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:44 am Hamilton, with the original Broadway cast, was fantastic. When you consider what you would have paid for center orchestra seats, which would not have had as good a view, this was an incredible bargain.
And the first year is free if you have a Verizon unlimited plan! Just set it up last night.
KayW

Post by KayW »

I agree 1000% on Hamilton! I am not going to tell you how much I paid to see the show live in Chicago (tho IMHO it was money very well spent). But I popped for a one-month Disney subscription so I could see it again. I plan to watch it several times this month. And if (as expected) I don't find very much else on that channel to hold my interest, I'll drop the subscription by August 3rd.

BTW for those of you - like me - who can't get Disney+ thru their cable/TiVo box... you can install it on an Amazon Fire stick.

And there's another great musical online this weekend - ALW will be streaming Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. In US time zones, it will be up roughly from Friday noon to Sunday noon.
https://www.playbill.com/article/donny- ... in-july-10
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Meg

Post by Meg »

I just started watching "Upload" on Amazon Prime. It’s quite entertaining!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

We started watching "Grace and Frankie" on Netflix yesterday and it is hilarious. Have gotten through the first four episodes of Season 1. Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin are great together.
TPS

Post by TPS »

I started watching Brockmire this week - it’s a lowest common denominator type humor for the most part but it’s kept me invested through 2 seasons.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

just finished season 1 of Better Call Saul.

FAR better television than was Breaking Bad. Sorry if you're a fan of Cranston, but the stories and the character development in BCS is fantastic!
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
TPS

Post by TPS »

I love BCS and don’t completely disagree with your comment. They are different shows and BCS benefitted from coming second and from not having to deal with a writer’s strike during its first season. I think as a character Jimmy McGill/Saul Goodman was far more interesting a character and VG and Rhea Seahorn have turned Kim Wexler into one of the best and most interesting female characters on television - it is an absolute joke she has not received an Emmy nod for her role - here is hoping it comes for this last season.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

just finished season 3, quite a tragic ending.

may take a day or two off before starting season 4, and working hard to avoid spoilers about S4 and S5.
TPS

Post by TPS »

So today - I have nothing to do so I decided to put my Disney Plus account to use while I did some cleaning/reorganizing - So I put on two high grossing films I've never seen. Avatar this morning and Frozen this afternoon.

One day someone will have to explain to me as to how/why Avatar was the highest grossing movie for 10+ years.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

TPS wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:22 pm So today - I have nothing to do so I decided to put my Disney Plus account to use while I did some cleaning/reorganizing - So I put on two high grossing films I've never seen. Avatar this morning and Frozen this afternoon.

One day someone will have to explain to me as to how/why Avatar was the highest grossing movie for 10+ years.
Well I added Disney plus a few weeks ago because Verizon gave it to me free for a year. I tried to watch Hamilton. Call me crazy, but I do not get the draw. So I asked my history loving husband what he thought when we were about 40 minutes in. He looked at me and said ,”why did people pay so much to see this on Broadway?” We switched it off and haven’t returned. Maybe I will just watch Frozen.
TPS

Post by TPS »

So I saw Hamilton in its first run on Broadway - long story short my GF at the time's uncle is on the board of the Met and he traded some seats for a producer's box at Hamilton. I enjoyed Hamilton and I rewatched it on Disney+. That said I would not have paid the ridiculous prices seats were getting. Even the prices without the original cast were insane. I like a couple of the songs - all 3 by King George, Washington on Your Side, The Room where it Happened, and Cabinet Battle 1.

But I did think it was a little long and some of it made no sense to me - Like LMM clearly was trying to paint Hamilton in a positive light but also has Hamilton compare himself to MacBeth and Icarus - So I get maybe he was trying to say Hamilton's fatal flaw was hubris but you can do that without comparing yourself to MacBeth who was a murderer and a traitor and who would certainly be serving his time in hell in the company of Judas, Cassius, and Brutus.
TPS

Post by TPS »

Also - Unpopular Opinion: Anna > Elsa.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

LOL

Ginger or Maryanne?
Hector

Post by Hector »

Heh, quite a coincidence: I watched the first Gilligan episode yesterday. Very interesting how much did and did not at all match my memories.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

The clearest thing I remember about GI was how the theme song during the first year of the series ended with "...the movie star, and the rest....." but later on was changed to include ".....the professor and Mary Ann..."
Obviously some contract negotiations going on! ;)
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

TPS wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:16 pm I started watching Brockmire this week - it’s a lowest common denominator type humor for the most part but it’s kept me invested through 2 seasons.
It kept me invested through one season. Once Amanda Peet was no longer a regular I quickly lost interest.
TPS

Post by TPS »

norrin2 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:13 pm

It kept me invested through one season. Once Amanda Peet was no longer a regular I quickly lost interest.
Losing her definitely hurt but the show just went got away from itself as far as I've ever seen any show outside of maybe the last season of Roseanne or Felicity in the final season where she apparently travelled through time via spell which was an interesting choice for a show that up to that point been about a girl attending NYU.