"Missing Links" - July 10, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
RichA2

Post by RichA2 »

Still on the ship on this one. Filled the grid, but not finding the way home from there.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well that was satisfying! Got a lot going on and I was sure I would not have the time to do the grid or certainly solve the meta. This morning over coffee, cold pizza (Friday is pizza night here no matter what) and pineapple (no tradition I just love pineapple - but NOT on my pizza!!!!!) I just happened to catch sight of the elusive little coney on an island. (and I suppose that I should have been having a hot dog not pizza?)

As usual clever construction, though obviously not as challenging as some given that we are up to 12 pages of comments on a Saturday and very few "still on the ship" messages. Darn, and I thought I was so clever...

Not sure if I'll get to MGWCC, depends on how the rest of the week-end goes, but doubtful. That's OK though, 1 for 2 is a better score than I have sometimes had in the past.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

DrTom wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:04 pm I just love pineapple - but NOT on my pizza!!!!!
IMG_6687.PNG
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Joe Ross wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:33 pm Image

I've got the correct rabbit hole... Help me find it?
Joe - that one ought to be simple, just follow the topographical clues......
Bug Hole.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

LadyBird wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:10 am I love this guy--even though he does diss Da Bears.
I kind of love him because he disses the Chicago Bears National Football League team.

First genuine chuckle out loud was when he brought the hammer with him to get ice for the first drink.

A MUST: His Target Husbands video. I had tears & nearly lost my breath a couple of times. It's special to have one guy with talent, but the other three husbands & one wife are perfect in their roles. They must be professional comedians/actors. The twerps are cute, too!
Last edited by Joe Ross on Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
TPS

Post by TPS »

DrTom wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:04 pm I just love pineapple - but NOT on my pizza!!!!!
If I get Papa John's pizza - 75% of the time I get "The Deadpool" Pineapple and Black Olives. Sounds weird but when I saw it in Deadpool I just had to try it and it is really good the sweetness of the pineapple compliments the saltiness of the Black Olives.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

TPS wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:30 pm
If I get Papa John's pizza - 75% of the time I get "The Deadpool" Pineapple and Black Olives. Sounds weird but when I saw it in Deadpool I just had to try it and it is really good the sweetness of the pineapple compliments the saltiness of the Black Olives.
Something you may not have tried, nor considered: a pineapple malt. Don't diss it until you try it & allow for the possibility that it may become your new favorite.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DRINK THROUGH ANYTHING LESS THAN AN EXTRA-WIDE STRAW. You may discover that aneurysm you didn't realize you had.

𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
TPS

Post by TPS »

Joe Ross wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:40 pm Something you may not have tried, nor considered: a pineapple malt.
Well you pegged both of those - I have not tried it - nor considered that such a thing exists - I love pineapple so now I definitely want to try one but where does one go to find one? I don't know where I would even go to get a malt - Does Dairy Queen still do malts? I haven't been to a DQ in 15+ years.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

tim1217 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:16 pm
IMG_6687.PNG
EXACTLY!!!
Pineapple.jpg
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Joe Ross wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:40 pm
TPS wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:30 pm
Something you may not have tried, nor considered: a pineapple malt. Don't diss it until you try it & allow for the possibility that it may become your new favorite.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DRINK THROUGH ANYTHING LESS THAN AN EXTRA-WIDE STRAW. You may discover that aneurysm you didn't realize you had.
Oh GREAT! I was sitting here trying NOT to think of food and then you do this! Now I have to have one because I have a pleasure center screaming "Pineapple! Ice Cream! Yes please, get in the car, get in the car...."
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

steveb wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:59 pm
Streroto wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:42 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:45 pm Hey, I'll bet someone here can answer this question...

I'm taking two cases of beer to an event tomorrow. How much ice do I need to take with that? It comes in 10 pound bags, so 2 bags for 2 cases? Or???
Yeti uses a 2:1 ratio of ice to liquid
... which would be 72 pounds of ice (2 cases x 24 beers x 12 oz = 576 ounces, or 36 pounds, of beer). Seems like an awful lot of ice, especially if you have an insulated carrier.
This is how they make their ice guarantee work
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

A quick apology

C=64 was the first one on the shore and I jumped over him on my list to Commodore

It must have been the computer connection.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I have Seen Something. But I don't know what to do with it.
Cynthia
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

hunkra wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:44 am Don't forget that Overdrive has the Libby App (its user-friendly ebook and audiobook app). This neighborhood librarian (who has been WFH waaay too long) highly recommends it!
Thank you for the recommendation of Libby!

Here's what has been my issue: I am a member of 9 libraries & consortiums in Ohio, which, I believe, covers every neighborhood library in the state. I've registered all of these on my OverDrive app years ago. The OD app works perfectly for me.

Not knowing if the Libby app is a giant leap forward, I've been loath to try it, as the simple act of reregistering 9 libraries is no small task. I need to realize that there will be a payback for my efforts. If it's the same functionality under different wrapping paper, meh. If it adds connections to "social media", then I am definitely out.

Whenever I change phones I have the opportunity to try a new app over OverDrive. That occurred about a year ago, which is roughly ¼ to ⅓ of my phones' lifetimes. However, I am abandoning this phone if & when a 5G compatible phone with a physical keyboard becomes available. The only hope for that, lately, has been TCL, which has been making Blackberry phones for the last several years. Fingers crossed.

In any case, I was able to find & place a hold on this, at 1 of my 9 libraries, CLEVNET:

Screenshot_20200711-142130.png

𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
Ann

Post by Ann »

Ashore! Very enjoyable journey.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

PINEAPPLE WARS???

WE'RE GOING TO START PINEAPPLE WARS???

OK, I strongly disagree - a Roundtable Pizza (Hawaii and California chain), Canadian Bacon, Pineapple, Red Bell Peppers - YES!!!
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

DrTom wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:04 pm Well that was satisfying! Got a lot going on and I was sure I would not have the time to do the grid or certainly solve the meta. This morning over coffee, cold pizza (Friday is pizza night here no matter what) and pineapple (no tradition I just love pineapple - but NOT on my pizza!!!!!) I just happened to catch sight of the elusive little coney on an island. (and I suppose that I should have been having a hot dog not pizza?)

As usual clever construction, though obviously not as challenging as some given that we are up to 12 pages of comments on a Saturday and very few "still on the ship" messages. Darn, and I thought I was so clever...

Not sure if I'll get to MGWCC, depends on how the rest of the week-end goes, but doubtful. That's OK though, 1 for 2 is a better score than I have sometimes had in the past.
Amen to Friday night pizza and Sautday morning pizza!! Been doing so for almost 30 years, last ten or so making our own, and the last five making our own dough!

BTW - in nearly 3,000 pizzas (two pizzas / Friday) not once was a pineapple allowed within a zip code of the proceedings. Now, plantains and roasted.pork, that's a whole different story!
Last edited by MarkL on Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

TPS wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:45 pm
Joe Ross wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:40 pm Something you may not have tried, nor considered: a pineapple malt.
Well you pegged both of those - I have not tried it - nor considered that such a thing exists - I love pineapple so now I definitely want to try one but where does one go to find one? I don't know where I would even go to get a malt - Does Dairy Queen still do malts? I haven't been to a DQ in 15+ years.
The people I trust with pineapple malts are local parlors. Try the interwebs or phone for places close by.

My son is a solid convert & has experimented successfully, he says, with adding pineapple to chocolate malts. I am merely the messenger on this, not having tried it.

𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

On the beach, at last.

I had to put this one down four times before I saw the light.
Jack Sullivan
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

in St. Louis, we have things called "concretes", basically, frozen custard with things blended in.

Blueberries in chocolate custard is one of my "go to-s".
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.