#11 - "Do Like I Do"

Creative and challenging meta crosswords (currently on hiatus) from: www.pgwcc.net
LesY

Post by LesY »

Got it, post revised clueing. Another really good one!
Anita

Post by Anita »

Finally solved this one. Wouldn't have managed it without the revised version.
KDubs

Post by KDubs »

You guys are giving me hope I’ll get this one! I’ve only gotten one of his so far, but all of them make sense when I read his methodology. I did print off the updated version, but didn’t get anything new from it (I think I had the right path from the first one).
KDubs

Post by KDubs »

Got it! I agree that without the updated version, I NEVER would have gotten it. If you’re still at it, I highly recommend working with the updated puzzle. It was so clever!
TMart

Post by TMart »

Forgot about this one over the long weekend. Just got it in under the wire with the hints. Not an easy one for sure.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Very clever meta! Too clever for me, even the hint version, but now that I see how it works I'm duly impressed.

If I had focused on the "like" part of the title instead of the "do" part, EGYPTIAN might have pulled me in the right direction. But my rabbit holes were "do" words ("Fido" clearly goes with DOG/BLOODHOUND! And... well, there must be others) and all of the red/blood references (NEEDLE; the bloodbath of RICHARD III; the red planet "Mars" contained in OMAR SHARIF). Well, I'll keep trying!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Here's a rabbit hole I followed at first: I wrote down Bloodhound, Richard III, Pine needle, Omar Sharif, King Fisher, Red Snapper. Well, blood is red, crossed those out. A snapper is a fish, crossed out snapper and fish. To needle someone is to hound them, crossed those out. RichardIII was a king, so they are out. that left Pine and Omar Sharif and the "er" from Fish. Pine could equal RUE, Omar Sharif played a saint (ST) and there's an ER leftover. So I thought...ROOSTER! lol

But I knew that wasn't PGW-worthy and thankfully he gave the hint before I submitted it out of desperation. I did have DOG, KING, LEAF, *Actor*, BIRD, and FISH written down. But it was the EGYPTIAN I needed for the aha. And before I got to the real answer, I was using swim like a fish instead of drink like a fish, fly like a bird instead of eat like a bird...but by then I knew i was on the right track and kept going till it worked out.