Collaboratively solving puzzles online

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
FrankieHeck

Collaboratively solving puzzles online

Post by FrankieHeck »

Just wanted to share a website that was mentioned on yesterday's Fill Me In Podcast. It's https://squares.io/ and it allows you to upload a puzzle file and then send a link to someone else so they can help you work on it. I haven't tried it myself, but it looks like it could be fun! Maybe wouldn't really apply to metas...I don't know that there's a chat feature...but could be fun to fill a challenging puzzle "together." (Also not sure if it's just for two people or if more can join in.)
Hector

Post by Hector »

There is indeed a chat window, and multiple solvers can play (https://squares.io/s/jj99k555). Cool!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Hector wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:34 pm There is indeed a chat window, and multiple solvers can play (https://squares.io/s/jj99k555). Cool!
Awesome!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

To piggyback on this, and referencing the recent traffic regarding nudges... to me, these are completely separate things. Group solves can be a nice way of socializing, and as many have said, solving metas has become a family or spousal activity. I think that's great. Nudges -- depending on the frequency, "strength" of the nudge and how early in the cycle they're requested -- are a different beast. I'm not against them, having both given and received them. We want our new friends to keep trying new stuff and not give up -- especially, say on the first day -- but we don't want to keep them completely on the outside and risk losing them. Perhaps if there was a "hint room" that opened a couple days after a puzzle is published, with well-written nudges -- not too much, but more than "Look at the title" -- that might help. Or we could designate, or take self-nominations for, an official "nudger" for individual puzzles. (like "Solved! Nice, elegant puzzle. I'll volunteer to be the official nudger for this puzzle; if you need help. PM me no sooner than [date]."
anjhinz

Post by anjhinz »

Al Sisti wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:10 pm To piggyback on this, and referencing the recent traffic regarding nudges... to me, these are completely separate things. Group solves can be a nice way of socializing, and as many have said, solving metas has become a family or spousal activity. I think that's great. Nudges -- depending on the frequency, "strength" of the nudge and how early in the cycle they're requested -- are a different beast. I'm not against them, having both given and received them. We want our new friends to keep trying new stuff and not give up -- especially, say on the first day -- but we don't want to keep them completely on the outside and risk losing them. Perhaps if there was a "hint room" that opened a couple days after a puzzle is published, with well-written nudges -- not too much, but more than "Look at the title" -- that might help. Or we could designate, or take self-nominations for, an official "nudger" for individual puzzles. (like "Solved! Nice, elegant puzzle. I'll volunteer to be the official nudger for this puzzle; if you need help. PM me no sooner than [date]."
I had the same thoughts from the discussions last week. There's nothing forcing anybody to read the solution when it's posted, but if you're REALLY just wanting to get the solve with a hint, you could avoid reading the solution and look up hints (possibly ROT-13 encrypted or something).