"Left Up In The Air" May 24, 2024

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

Ashore for the long weekend. Fun A-ha with this one.
Kas

Post by Kas »

Hm. I think I need a nudge.

I'm feeling that very specific brand of puzzle irritation that comes with the near virtual certainty that when I do finally see the solution, there's a reasonable likelihood that the forehead slap will be severe. In the rare instance that I grudgingly ask for/accept a nudge, that slap risks crossing over to full-on brain injury.

We need a word for this. Crosswordisfunction? Lexiconcussion? Being puzzlobotomized? I open the door to suggestions.
Mirage

Post by Mirage »

Still at sea. I look forward to Patrick Berry’s puzzles but his meta this time has stumped me. I keep revisiting the same rabbit hole and can’t find my way out.
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Forgot to post yesterday - ashore. The Friday Zoom call got me straightened out. I had most of it right, but the one part I had wrong had me completely stymied.
CdnMG

Post by CdnMG »

Happy to be ashore, it's been a few weeks...already had my wine with dinner.
KayW

Post by KayW »

WE INTERRUPT YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED POSTING FOR AN EXTRA-CURRICULAR ACTIVITY:
KayW wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:59 pm Anyone interested in an afternoon of puzzling entertainment in Chicago?

The Enigmatist
Shakespeare Theatre at Navy Pier in Chicago on Sunday June 23rd at 2pm

From the The Enigmatist website:

Can you crack the code? Following wildly successful runs in New York City and Los Angeles, renowned magician and The New York Times crossword constructor David Kwong brings his immersive experience of puzzles and cryptology to Chicago. The Los Angeles Times raves that Kwong “creates a magical sense of togetherness” and The New York Times declares, “it’s like a spin class for the frontal lobe… by the time Kwong finished, the room was loopy with delight.” Clues are everywhere, so keep your eyes open and be ready for surprises behind every multi-layered illusion.

Pre-Show Puzzle Garden! Upon arrival, you’ll encounter four puzzle walls in the lobby. Arrive early so you can solve them before taking your seat in the theater (plan for 20–30 minutes). While not mandatory to gain entry to the performance, completing the puzzles will enhance your overall experience.

@LadyBird, Mr. LadyBird (GentBird? BirdMan?) and a friend and I are attending this performance. We thought other Chicago area muggles might be interested in attending the show and meeting up. We'll get together for food and/or drinks after or before, tho that's still TBD.

Tickets are $78 - $90 dollars.
If you are driving, Shakespeare Theatre offers discounted 6-hour parking for $21.
Run time is 95 minutes, no intermission (plus 30ish minutes for the pre-show puzzle garden)

I look forward to hearing from anyone who'd like to join us!
We now return to your posts already in progress.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Collegetowngirl

Post by Collegetowngirl »

Definitely on the ship. Seeing glimmers that then just sputter out.
burak

Post by burak »

Step 2 has been really elusive so far, and judging from the comments it's gonna be a real head slapper if I can't figure it out till midnight tomorrow.
Mister Squawk

Post by Mister Squawk »

Nudged to (a) shore.
Miki

Post by Miki »

Zobo3737 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 12:52 pm “Does anyone think people might get "pageanted" with this one?”

I sure hope not. If that’s in play, then the Meta is not as simple as I thought.
I know what you mean. Definitely thought about it and double-checked before submitting. An extra step is almost called for.

Miki
bread-girl

Post by bread-girl »

Lost at sea over here! I would appreciate a nudge on this holiday weekend 😢
bread-girl

Post by bread-girl »

bread-girl wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:00 am Lost at sea over here! I would appreciate a nudge on this holiday weekend 😢
Received a nudge and I have gotten to shore :)
Ben B

Post by Ben B »

Ugh. Getting nowhere on this one. At sea. Hope this is a learning opportunity on Monday. Trying not to get discouraged.
SingleMalt

Post by SingleMalt »

On the Beach!

Have played 12 rounds of golf since my last post. 9 in beautiful Pinehurst North Carolina. PM me if you want some insider tips on how to have a GREAT golf week without being soaked on the resort property.

I tried to play last week but last week's meta was too tough for me armed only with my mobile phone on the ride home.

I'll have a refreshing Hendricks and Tonic these evening with a cucumber, of course....
pilsbandy

Post by pilsbandy »

Got my bearings long enough to crack the first step, but now I'm back to being lost at sea. Any chance for a nudge?

EDIT: Made it to shore thanks to a solid nudge!
Last edited by pilsbandy on Sun May 26, 2024 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Finally on shore.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
Adajeo

Post by Adajeo »

Ashore - time to dust off the grill and get out the Popsicles.
Screenshot 2024-05-26 094952.png
"To finish the moment, to find the journey’s end in every step of the road, to live the greatest number of good hours, is wisdom" Ralph Waldo Emerson
pilsbandy

Post by pilsbandy »

Whew, crawled onto shore with the help of a very good nudge. As usual, I was overthinking. Today marks 62 days sober so a virgin whiskey sour for me (lemonade plus egg yolk and bitters?)
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday muggles

Isaac has asked me to announce that the tenders will only be going to shore once an hour because the number of passengers has dropped since yesterday. You are always free to swim or paddleboard to the shore.

So far we have 16 on the ship and 147 on the shore.

Relaxing in the ship's bar are

otlaolap
Collegetowngirl
Mirage
Ben B and son
Pilsbandy
Kas
Burak
Wordnerd23

And getting to the shore are

Mister and Mrs. Squawk
Laura
dpl11
joe
Lacangah
Beth T
Cindy N
bread-girl
Steveb
SingleMalt
ZooAnimalsOnWheels
dk letter
eagle1279
dudeski
CdnMG
Adajeo
Justmarebear

Have a good weekend and memorial day
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

Ashore! Had an answer that did not make sense until I realized I had it in the wrong order.
Always happy to provide a nudge if I’m ashore.