"Left Up In The Air" May 24, 2024

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
hoover

Post by hoover »

elvanya wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 4:04 pm
MarkWoychick wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:46 am Ashore - took me a while, but it was worth the wait - very clever and satisfying. Now I just have to figure out 20A - fill error on my part or something new to me - TBD
20a also makes no sense to me in relation to the clue, but the downs seem clear so... *shrug*
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

I've lost my mind. These don't make sense anymore.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Acarl wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:07 pm
woozy wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 6:08 pm Saw nothing for a while and tried something mostly as a joke and... it was it. Then brought it ashore.

Um... it works and a hundred percenter but as for being tight clinch.... unless I'm missing something, this one is loose. It will flap in the wind and if you exceed 20 mph it'll go flying off.

Jose Cuervo. Lots of ice.
Hundred per center and still flapping in the wind???
I’m still flapping—- er, paddling—-in any case
There's a difference in a puzzle being tightly formed, and being sure of the solution. I may be missing some trigger or handle but this seemed to me to be pretty weak in the "of course, how clever this all works together" department, even though the solution is very certain. It's like a "well, I guess we can do this and that's sort of like what something means but it's kind of arbitrar.... well, no, I guess it's fine. Sure, it's okay, and you get this. Well that's obviously not an accident and is clearly the intended answer, but, well... no, it's okay. Yeah, it's fine. Forget I said anything."

I actually do think I am missing something very specific which will make me go "Oh, duh! Of course!" but I don't really see it, if it's there.
So I just plain couldn't get my meta based on "Up the Down Staircase" to work.

My challenge it to constructors is to make a meta where the meta, theme or metanism is "Up the Down Staircase".
woozy

Post by woozy »

hoover wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 4:06 pm
elvanya wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 4:04 pm
MarkWoychick wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:46 am Ashore - took me a while, but it was worth the wait - very clever and satisfying. Now I just have to figure out 20A - fill error on my part or something new to me - TBD
20a also makes no sense to me in relation to the clue, but the downs seem clear so... *shrug*
Needed the wife for that one. But, yeah, it was all good.
So I just plain couldn't get my meta based on "Up the Down Staircase" to work.

My challenge it to constructors is to make a meta where the meta, theme or metanism is "Up the Down Staircase".
Lyman

Post by Lyman »

Ashore, and ready for the weekend.
turbotron

Post by turbotron »

On the beach after silently attending my first Zoom session from the office. Thanks for the nudge, folks, and have a great holiday weekend!
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

Joepickett wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 4:27 pm I've lost my mind. These don't make sense anymore.
Ashore
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

🏝on shore🏝 thanks to a nudge from the Zoom Room! Thank you, muggles!
LarsCaine

Post by LarsCaine »

Thanks Zoom room!
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

Ashore! I sat in on just enough of the zoom to get me started. Thanks for the nudge everyone!
ReB

Post by ReB »

Ashore after the Friday group made me keep looking and looking along the same path until I finally could see what was under my nose all the time.
Scooby

Post by Scooby »

At sea...rowing the boat aimlessly. At least two more days to get on Mr. Berry's frequency.
batfella

Post by batfella »

Thanks for the Zoom nudges. Finally saw step two. Happy Holiday to all
Cruciverbalisticexpi

Post by Cruciverbalisticexpi »

woozy wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 4:43 pm
Acarl wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:07 pm
woozy wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 6:08 pm Saw nothing for a while and tried something mostly as a joke and... it was it. Then brought it ashore.

Um... it works and a hundred percenter but as for being tight clinch.... unless I'm missing something, this one is loose. It will flap in the wind and if you exceed 20 mph it'll go flying off.

Jose Cuervo. Lots of ice.
Hundred per center and still flapping in the wind???
I’m still flapping—- er, paddling—-in any case
There's a difference in a puzzle being tightly formed, and being sure of the solution. I may be missing some trigger or handle but this seemed to me to be pretty weak in the "of course, how clever this all works together" department, even though the solution is very certain. It's like a "well, I guess we can do this and that's sort of like what something means but it's kind of arbitrar.... well, no, I guess it's fine. Sure, it's okay, and you get this. Well that's obviously not an accident and is clearly the intended answer, but, well... no, it's okay. Yeah, it's fine. Forget I said anything."

I actually do think I am missing something very specific which will make me go "Oh, duh! Of course!" but I don't really see it, if it's there.
If you link the solution back to the puzzle name COMPLETELY, I think it will make more sense. And not just link it partially. I was a little unsatisfied at first too. But not after adding that one little bit more.
JaneGummy

Post by JaneGummy »

On shore five minutes into the zoom call, just needed that first step. Thrilled to have a double Patrick Berry weekend, Rows Garden is my absolute favorite weekend puzzle, so creative!
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

“Joined” the zoom call but didn’t get to participate due to distractions and had to drop off… but if I can hop on Sunday I had a particularly nasty rabbit hole on this one I think might amuse all of you.
Flying_Burrito

Post by Flying_Burrito »

Solved it this morning with coffee, scrambled eggs and PB(&J).

PBs metas always come <<can't use this word>> to me for some reason (while MGs are my kryptonite). Pisco sour round on me.
Senor Guaca Mole :mrgreen:
ELSavage

Post by ELSavage »

Ashore!
I made it ashore pretty quickly once I had a chance to sit down with it after work today.
I also had low confidence in the answer at first, but early in the Zoom call @Wendy Walker literally straightened it out for me.
But then there is this, which totally nails it down.
Cruciverbalisticexpi wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:08 pm
If you link the solution back to the puzzle name COMPLETELY, I think it will make more sense. And not just link it partially. I was a little unsatisfied at first too. But not after adding that one little bit more.
Bespoke nudges available upon request (if I'm on shore).
Let me know how small or large a hint you want, or hit me with a specific question(s).
Acarl

Post by Acarl »

Ashore. Thanks, zoom room!
M and M

Post by M and M »

We has an extra team member on this one, and his contribution was great. It's delightful to unexpectedly find a Muggle or two out in the wider world.