Harper’s June Puzzle, “Matched Sets”

Enter if you dare!
CromsFury

Harper’s June Puzzle, “Matched Sets”

Post by CromsFury »

The June Harper's Cryptic is available on the website for subscribers. (This is ALWAYS my favorite day of the month!!!)
Enjoy!
:ugeek:
Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo. - Virgil
Quand on lit trop vite où trop doucement, on n'entend rien. - Pascal
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

Tough one! Managed to finish in one sitting, but still didn’t completely understand a couple of the clues.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Finished pretty quickly. If anyone needs an explanation of any of the word plays message me. I think I have them all.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

oldjudge wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:30 pm Finished pretty quickly.
I’m impressed! Myself, I struggled to gain a foothold, but once I did, I suppose it unfolded quickly enough.

Fun!
hoover

Post by hoover »

Managed to grab my library's copy and photocopy the puzzle page before the magazine disappeared AND with enough time to solve (I hope) before the deadline! Um... still working on it.
hoover

Post by hoover »

hoover wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 3:08 pm Managed to grab my library's copy and photocopy the puzzle page before the magazine disappeared AND with enough time to solve (I hope) before the deadline! Um... still working on it.
Update: I have the 5x2 and all but two cells in the grid filled. The penultimate one I'm 95% sure of but not sure about the wordplay. The last one I could go either way with. I'm sure the constructors do this on purpose!
hoover

Post by hoover »

hoover wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:09 pm
hoover wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 3:08 pm Managed to grab my library's copy and photocopy the puzzle page before the magazine disappeared AND with enough time to solve (I hope) before the deadline! Um... still working on it.
Update: I have the 5x2 and all but two cells in the grid filled. The penultimate one I'm 95% sure of but not sure about the wordplay. The last one I could go either way with. I'm sure the constructors do this on purpose!
The one I could go either way with, I figured out the wordplay and now I'm 100% sure of. That leaves me with the 95%-er. I think I've teased out the definition and half of the wordplay, but I don't see how the other half fits.
CromsFury

Post by CromsFury »

hoover wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 12:45 pm
hoover wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:09 pm
The one I could go either way with, I figured out the wordplay and now I'm 100% sure of. That leaves me with the 95%-er. I think I've teased out the definition and half of the wordplay, but I don't see how the other half fits.
Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo. - Virgil
Quand on lit trop vite où trop doucement, on n'entend rien. - Pascal
Naptown Kid

Post by Naptown Kid »

Just finished this one. Took me longer than usual. I believe Maltby has used this mechanism before, but I didn’t remember it until it came to me as if for the first time late in the solve. Enjoyed the challenge.