"What Not To Do" - March 27, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good morning. Our Sunday report is quite a bit early as we have the first (and hopefully the last but I doubt it) family video conference.

If you have read the comments, there is a lot of uncertainty with those on one shore or another so it should be interesting.

We also have a new muggle: readtobe2002 so our clan is now 287

We have 29 on the ship (a lot) and 79 on the shore (few especially of late).

New to the ship's many sanitized bars are:
Frankie
Kay
rex
Colin
Frank
Debbie
LittleGood
Sara
and tonyrobots

And on the shore since yesterday are:
DrTom
Tom S
Fred
Ed S
Abide
Toby
ccmac
Greg W
ky-mike
Bird Lives
Trey and Marion (honored in 32 A)
Anita
phofer
lusophile
Beth C
Ksoav
diplomat
readtobe2002
Rita and George
Bulls***********
and Susan H

Hopefully some of us can get enlightenment in the next 12 hours

Stay safe wherever you are.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
KayW

Post by KayW »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:25 am Good morning. Our Sunday report is quite a bit early as we have the first (and hopefully the last but I doubt it) family video conference.

If you have read the comments, there is a lot of uncertainty with those on one shore or another so it should be interesting.

We also have a new muggle: readtobe2002 so our clan is now 287

We have 29 on the ship (a lot) and 79 on the shore (few especially of late).

New to the ship's many sanitized bars are:
Frankie
Kay
rex
Colin
Frank
Debbie
LittleGood
Sara
and tonyrobots

And on the shore since yesterday are:
DrTom
Tom S
Fred
Ed S
Abide
Toby
ccmac
Greg W
ky-mike
Bird Lives
Trey and Marion (honored in 32 A)
Anita
phofer
lusophile
Beth C
Ksoav
diplomat
readtobe2002
Rita and George
Bulls***********
and Susan H

Hopefully some of us can get enlightenment in the next 12 hours

Stay safe wherever you are.
:D Fair enough Bob, I spent lots of time at the bar this week. But I am now 100% on the widely-spaced beach.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I'm off the ship, and I've picked a beach to land on at about 9 pm.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Al Sisti wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:46 pm
Bird Lives wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:40 pm
tim1217 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:47 pm Time for the Friday night music interlude. Some great sound/video editing in this one. A great reminder that it's a global pandemic. but we're all in this together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo
Now THAT's social distancing.
This is awesome, don't know why I didn't know about it until now. So pleased to see the super-talented kid Marcus King and the wonderful (and hot) Lovell sisters, Larkin Poe.
Tim, Bird and Al ... thank you so much for sharing this link! I have now blown all my muggling time on watching all the Playing For Change (Song Around the World Series) videos on YouTube... all new to me and so fantastic! My signature says it all!
One world. One planet. One future.
Homer Buckle

Post by Homer Buckle »

At last ashore after some early morning inspiration. I hope I am right.
yourpalsal

Post by yourpalsal »

Speaking of ships, do we have any fellow enthusiasts on this board for the AUBREY-MATURIN novels? It’s a prodigious time to embark upon another voyage through one of the greatest and most colorful friendships in literature. This is the 21-novel tale upon which the film Master & Commander was based.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I'm on shore. Which one? We'll all know tonight.
Heidi
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

yourpalsal wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:25 pm Speaking of ships, do we have any fellow enthusiasts on this board for the AUBREY-MATURIN novels? It’s a prodigious time to embark upon another voyage through one of the greatest and most colorful friendships in literature. This is the 21-novel tale upon which the film Master & Commander was based.
I've read those novels some 4 or 5 or 6 times through, they are highly recommended.

I'm about to finish the Hornblower series for the first time, and strongly preferred Aubrey/Maturin.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

:?: Ok, I’m almost crazy with this one. I’ve chase three different rabbits and end up with gibberish. Nudge please?
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

Aaarggg!
The only thing worse than being totally LAS is being able to SEE what you need to but being unable to make it work!

Still on the boat. Maybe some yard work will clear my mind. I’ll try again later.
Konnie
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

SusieG wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:57 pm :?: Ok, I’m almost crazy with this one. I’ve chase three different rabbits and end up with gibberish. Nudge please?
Message me and I will help
matthewmoravec

Post by matthewmoravec »

On shore with a 10 letter word I can defend as being legitimate, but we'll see... "Three measures of Gordon's, one of vodka, half a measure of elderberry extract. This drink's my own antiviral invention. I'm going to patent it when I can think of a good name."
Patty

Post by Patty »

I have solved. Can't say that I am on shore because I needed not one, not two but three nudges to solve. Many thanks to the nudger 😃 but aargh for me!

Isaac was kind enough to add a little tropical flavored extra to my travel mug so I am in the lagoon on a sandbar enjoying the party from afar. Be well everyone!
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

Okay, I'm pretty sure I got it, and it was *not* the word I was trying to back-solve. (Though the general approach was right.) So count me on a shore, if not necessarily *the* shore, keeping a safe distance and letting the sand sift through my toes.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Patty wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:20 pm I have solved. Can't say that I am on shore because I needed not one, not two but three nudges to solve. Many thanks to the nudger 😃 but aargh for me!

Isaac was kind enough to add a little tropical flavored extra to my travel mug so I am in the lagoon on a sandbar enjoying the party from afar. Be well everyone!
I am at the point where nudges won't help. I would need a human cannon like they had in the circus to get me to shore
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

matthewmoravec wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:10 pm On shore with a 10 letter word I can defend as being legitimate, but we'll see... "Three measures of Gordon's, one of vodka, half a measure of elderberry extract. This drink's my own antiviral invention. I'm going to patent it when I can think of a good name."
Just think, there are 35,529 ten letter words in the English language so you may be right.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

matthewmoravec wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:10 pm On shore with a 10 letter word I can defend as being legitimate, but we'll see... "Three measures of Gordon's, one of vodka, half a measure of elderberry extract. This drink's my own antiviral invention. I'm going to patent it when I can think of a good name."
Python Cure
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Ashore, finally, and submitted. Answer is 6° or 7° to port of initial assumption, but for hours I felt like I was heading directly aft. I still have one or two things to button up.

I'll have a Guinness, please, since a few too many Warsteiner Dunkels during a virtual euchre party, last night, kept the meta answer at arm's length for too many hours, today. Sláinte!

Best of luck to all still bobbing at sea! I need a nap.

EDIT: Buttoned everything up. No nits and turned out to be smart to trust the fewer folks who knew that they were on solid ground. I apologize to Matt for my unsound evil thoughts. Great meta! Honored to have finally figured it out.
Last edited by Joe Ross on Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
yourpalsal

Post by yourpalsal »

MajordomoTom wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:40 pm
yourpalsal wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:25 pm Speaking of ships, do we have any fellow enthusiasts on this board for the AUBREY-MATURIN novels? It’s a prodigious time to embark upon another voyage through one of the greatest and most colorful friendships in literature. This is the 21-novel tale upon which the film Master & Commander was based.
I've read those novels some 4 or 5 or 6 times through, they are highly recommended.

I'm about to finish the Hornblower series for the first time, and strongly preferred Aubrey/Maturin.
Agreed re Hornblower novels, which I read as a kid. The Aubrey-Maturin novels by Patrick O’Brian combine high seas adventure with the character brilliance of Jane Austen. A unique blend that will surely appeal to members of this group.
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

On the ship still. I have a stab in the dark answer, that I’ll submit. I can’t quite justify getting from point a to point b in my answer. I think this will be one of those I should have gotten, but didn’t.