Find Him! (Freddie Cheng)

Published weekly by expert constructor Peter Gordon, the Fireball crossword is famous for being hard. How hard? Well, in the words of Peter Gordon, if you need to ask, too hard for you! It is not regularly a meta crossword, but does feature a contest or meta puzzle several times throughout the year. Available here for a subscription: http://www.fireballcrosswords.com
docison

Find Him! (Freddie Cheng)

Post by docison »

What U.S. state or Canadian province is the answer to the question posed by this puzzle?

A clever but relatively straightforward meta from Peter and Freddie - I found the grid typically challenging for Fireball, but the meta a bit simpler. Nice one nonetheless!

It's worth noting that Peter has definitely increased the frequency of metas in the Fireball and seems to have settled into a once-a-month pattern - subscribe!

Adam
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

This was a really fun puzzle!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
DCBilly

Post by DCBilly »

Agree with Adam and Wendy - I dug this the most.
I chatted with Peter a good bit at ACPT since we like the same frontish rightish seating in the massive ballroom. He liked hearing that a meta lover (and cryptic lover) like me appreciates the variety he offers up. This was just after the Odds and Evens thing.
We also laughed about his classic April Fools puzzle (2017??) that appeared to announce the end of the NYT crossword. NYT puzzles column linked to that recently, probably 4-1-24.
Last edited by DCBilly on Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

That was cute!

My favorite clue was 60 down. Big laugh when I finally figured it out.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

BarbaraK wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:12 pm That was cute!

My favorite clue was 60 down. Big laugh when I finally figured it out.
I had to go back and look. It didn’t click the first time, but I agree that’s a pretty great clue now that I see what’s going on.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Still playing around this one - we'll see what happens. No headway yet, but I'll still try to find him!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
Abide

Post by Abide »

Really enjoyed this one. The constructor name didn't ring a bell but he's got serious chops.

The lack of a (?) on 60-D is pure Fireball.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Think I got it but it’s almost too simple for a FB meta…

It’s extremely clever though and a fun puzzle.
markhr

Post by markhr »

Found him. The answer was not a strong click for me, but I'll go with it. Pretty clever.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Sometime I noticed on Friday is actually relevant! I think I have it! That was fun. 😀
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Ok, I did get it. I found the click to be solid just excepting I was expecting more of a week-4 level meta solve. But beautiful construction and a clever mechanism I’ve never seen before.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I found Waldo looking at just the across clues and thought that was clever. When I went ahead and wrote it on the black squares (and wasn't it convenient that Peter sends PDFs with the black light enough write on) and then noticed that they all worked with the down clues too, my appreciation shot up another level.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)