"Heart Of Gold" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

"Heart Of Gold" by benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Welcome to...

benchen71's Metas on a Tuesday (MOAT)

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? I walked past a bookshop, saw a book in the window, and this puzzle was the result! The title "Heart of Gold" is apparently a song by Neil Young. But it's also the name of the starship in Douglas Adam's classic "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". This is the starship with an infinite improbability drive, which, when turned on, leads to all sorts of narrative improbabilities (including a bowl of petunias that says, "Oh no, not again!") Now, on with the meta puzzle, the answer to which is an 8-letter word.

The easiest way to submit is on Crosshare (and you get instant feedback and unlimited attempts!) But you can also PM me with your submission. Either way, I'll compile a list of those who successfully solve the meta.

Heart Of Gold - Crosshare
Heart Of Gold - PUZ
Heart Of Gold - PDF

Nudges are here.
The solution is here.

havefun.gif
Attachments
(3.06 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
(187.82 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
hoover

Post by hoover »

MOAT crossed! I'm always amazed to see that there are still new mechanisms to be discovered!
Darth

Post by Darth »

DeMOATed. Thanks, Ben.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Moat crossed after being taught a few new things.
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Moat crossed, castle stormed, gold pilfered. Thanks for the puzzle, Ben!
Matthew
ajk

Post by ajk »

Hmm. Got step 1 speedily enough, but not seeing step 2.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
woozy

Post by woozy »

ajk wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:31 pm Hmm. Got step 1 speedily enough, but not seeing step 2.
► Show Spoiler
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Crossed and stormed! Clever metanism, Ben, thx!
Ray
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Wow, that too me some searching for the right road across the moat but I got there. Thanks Ben
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Demoated. Thanks Google! (and Ben).
Heidi
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :european_castle: DeMOATed. Thanks Ben!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

ajk wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:31 pm Hmm. Got step 1 speedily enough, but not seeing step 2.
I’m right there with you… I think I have step 1.5 or 2 but don’t know what to do next!
dannykbernstein

Post by dannykbernstein »

Ergcat wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:23 pm
I’m right there with you… I think I have step 1.5 or 2 but don’t know what to do next!
Retweet. 😩
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

dannykbernstein wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:30 pm
Ergcat wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:23 pm
Retweet. 😩
I'll release the nudges early... at the end of the first 24 hour period! :D
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Yeah, definitely intrigued by this - have yet to figure out how all these pieces come together. See some things on my break from work but not everything just yet!

Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Crossed! Stormed!

With help from another solver. Actually, I had it; I just … well, I won’t say more, so as to not risk giving anything away.

Thanks, Ben!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I'm going to have a busy afternoon (parent-teacher interviews :shock: ) so here's the first batch of successful solvers:

rfj
Pair O Ducks
LarsCaine
hoover
Darth
kymike
Hector
boharr
woozy
MatthewL
DCBilly
Jaclyn
Meg
rjy
christian
Cindy Weatherman
Tyrpmom
Devoid
DrTom
Laura M
heidi
KayW
Sharkicicles
Philip Chow
zombie
I K Snamhcok
markhr
LindaPRmaven

We start with 28!
Last edited by benchen71 on Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

As promised, early nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. There is a hint in the grid. It's in 61A but confusingly it's in a bracket: "The process of gilding with gold, which is related to the meta answer."

2. Actually, there are 16 brackets in the clues, which is suspicious given you are looking for an 8-letter word.

3. The bracketed clues come in adjacent pairs: the first entry in the pair has a number and the second entry has a definition. The puzzle title might also help at this point!

4. The number is how many letters are in the word that you need to form with the given definition.

5. Gold's Periodic Table symbol (AU) is needed.

and if you get through all those and answer, "I knew that!" to all of those, here's an extra special nudge just for you:

6. Google what you have!
woozy

Post by woozy »

I suspect a LOT of dope slaps.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Don’t ya just love it when you eventually solve AND learn something in the process!!!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!