MGWCC #828 — "Know Your Place"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Awaiting the beam... [Lots of staring at the grid before a flash of inspiration hit. And that's why we do these things! :D]

... and I'm beamed at #96.
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Finally saw the light! Awaiting beamage.

Edit: Made the top 100, at #97.
Last edited by Laura M on Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

wjchatto wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:24 pm I have two incomplete entries in the grid, on which I'm stumped: 57A and 57D, both 3 letters long. Anyone else have the same issue?
I have that crossing letter filled in, and it makes sense to me for 57D, but the one across I still don’t understand, even with the explanation above (including the spoiler). Huh??

No idea yet on the meta, but I just finished the grid this morning (yesterday was busy.. Saturdays are not good for me to get on a meta midday!). I thought the grid was really crunchy… google not that helpful, because it was more about stretching the lateral thinking, on the clueing.

I may look for a solvers powwow this afternoon, if anyone’s around then! (2-ish, eastern).

Update - Alan lurking on Discord is always a relief. Some helpful gentle nudging was great… submitted and awaiting beam.
Last edited by HeadinHome on Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The other Wendy. :roll:
Joe

Post by Joe »

HeadinHome wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:37 am
wjchatto wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:24 pm I have two incomplete entries in the grid, on which I'm stumped: 57A and 57D, both 3 letters long. Anyone else have the same issue?
I have that crossing letter filled in, and it makes sense to me for 57D, but the one across I still don’t understand, even with the explanation above (including the spoiler). Huh??

No idea yet on the meta, but I just finished the grid this morning (yesterday was busy.. Saturdays are not good for me to get on a meta midday!). I thought the grid was really crunchy… google not that helpful, because it was more about stretching the lateral thinking, on the clueing.

I may look for a solvers powwow this afternoon, if anyone’s around then! (2-ish, eastern).
I’d be ok with that! Using the zoom link?
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Beam up requested. This one brought back great memories. Details after the deadline.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
TMart

Post by TMart »

Awaiting the beam. Hard week 1, hard week 2. Either these are getting harder or I’m getting dumber.
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

Having solved, I'm trying to decide if it's "hard", as in "complex", or just "hard", as in I've developed lazy solving habits, based on certain presumptions and expectations.

By the time I've eliminated all of the Top 10 Most Frequent Gaffney Metanisms, I'm already getting stubborn about forcing one of those on the grid.

I think when a puzzle changes things up, "hard" comes to mind before "refreshing", "clever", and "entirely fair".

YMMVCDOWYHAEAHOAGEV*

*(your mileage may vary considerably depending on whether you have an electric, a hybrid, or a gas engine vehicle)
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

HoldThatThought wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:45 am Having solved, I'm trying to decide if it's "hard", as in "complex", or just "hard", as in I've developed lazy solving habits, based on certain presumptions and expectations.
Taking an "I'm the center of the universe" perspective, I consider it as follows:
"Hard" = "It took me a long time to get" or "I couldn't get it (without help)"
"Easy" = "I got it quickly"

Adding a second dimension:
"Hard" plus "Not Complex" = SAD
"Easy" plus "Complex" = LAMIAG*

Having not solved yet, I deem it "hard" for now.

Note: Your universe may have a different center than mine.

*Look At Me I'm A Genius
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

lost in space for now
Sfreedman67

Post by Sfreedman67 »

I filled out the grid and sat on it overnight but still have nothing...would anyone mind giving me a nudge?

Edit1: alternatively, would someone mind sharing a Discord invite?

Edit2: After a lot of nudging I finally got it! I'd still appreciate a Discord link though.
Last edited by Sfreedman67 on Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Joe wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:07 am

I’d be ok with that! Using the zoom link?
Sorry Joe! I did the Discord before I saw this. Got it.
The other Wendy. :roll:
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Got it with a helpful nudge from the Sunday night zoom crew!
woozy

Post by woozy »

Okay The clue number is 57. And the clue is "+4 in ancient Rome". You read that with the clue number and it reads "57 + 4 in ancient Rome"
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Got there with a bit of help.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
StunGun

Post by StunGun »

Needed a nudge, so I guess my performance is best described by an 11-letter hyphenated adjective…
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Awaiting the site update, but pretty sure I got it...

Update: on the board at #197
Last edited by Qmark on Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Same here. I think I got it last night - still waiting to be beamed up.
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Good grief, still just not seeing this one. I caved and submitted my WAG, we'll see if it gets me anywhere...
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Not due until noon on Wednesday. You had another day to work on it.
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Rats! Oh well, maybe it's my lucky day, the next beam will tell.

Update: It was not my lucky day :oops: :cry: