"Wrapping Paper" by ajk

Formerly known as the “Sunday Summer Substitute”, editor Cap'n Rick now takes the helm for 'Smooth Sailing Sundays'. As The Commodores sang about Sunday morning, the SSS will focus on easier metas. SSS will also support smaller grids and will mentor new constructors on request. Puzzles released each Sunday around 8am Eastern. Nudges released same day at Noon Eastern. New constructors are welcome.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

SSSolved, NNN
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Berto

Post by Berto »

Sssolved WITH nudges… very clever Alan!
rjy

Post by rjy »

Sssolved nnnudgelesssly… nice concept and construction, Alan, thanks!
Ray
ajk

Post by ajk »

Day 1 solver update (combination of forum and Crosshare lists, so apologies for potential dupes), please let me know if I missed anyone:
Alex Sisti
andeux
Anita and Steve
BarbaraK
benchen71
Berto
Bird Lives
boharr
Capn Rick [TS}
Carolyn
ChrisKochmanski
Cindy Heisler
Cinny
CPJohnson
Darth
DCBilly
Dow Jones
Gutman
hcbirker
Hector
heidi
hoover
I K Snamhcok
Jeremy Smith
JM
KayW
Kulea
ky-mike
LarsCaine
MatthewL
Meg
michaelm
omnilynx
Philip Chow
Qmark
rjy
Schmeel
schmidzy
Sharkicicles
Tom Wilson
Wendy Walker
whimsy
woozy
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Smooth sailing as promised! It was a nice diversion from my leaving for a trip panic, "Do I have everything, did I pack my [insert important thing here], will the flight be on time to make my connections,..."

Thanks Alan.

Tom
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Sssolved!
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Abide

Post by Abide »

Very elegant. And today I learned a pecan is also a 15-Across.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

I keep forgetting to do these on Sundaysss.

I didn't need the nudges. Thanks for the puzzle!
ajk

Post by ajk »

Board update before reveal (let me know if I missed anyone):
Abide
DIS
DrTom
Eric Porter
HeadinHome
JHSeeman
Jaclyn
Johnny Luau
Laura M
Mwoychick
lbray53
markhr
potemkinish
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
ajk

Post by ajk »

The meta answer is GIFTS.

Pretty sure this one started around Christmas time, but never got around to fully finishing it until recently.

Hopefully solvers noticed that 5 of the clues had the word 'paper' in them, which should have been a flag given the title. And sure enough, each of those entries is 'wrapped' in a different 4 letter word for a certain type of paper (TERM, NEWS, WALL, RICE, BOND). Each of those new words then matched another clue in the grid (as shown below), and the first letters of those alternate entries, in grid order, spelled our meta answer. Thanks to @Cap'n Rick for noticing that one of the other random clues originally started with the word Term, which was quickly fixed. :)

Hope everyone enjoyed, and thanks as always for the kind comments.

wrapping paper small.png