PCC#31 "Chain Reaction" (Apr. 13, 2014)

Welcome to Phil's Crossword Corner (PCC)! Philip Chow (aka Phil) is an auditor at NYC Dept of Parks and Recreation who makes crossword puzzles for fun in his free time. A new meta puzzle posts every other Saturday weekend on Crosshare.

Phil’s metas will usually include immediate nudges, a great tool for new solvers. You can reach him at pchow13@gmail.com
pchow13

PCC#31 "Chain Reaction" (Apr. 13, 2014)

Post by pchow13 »

Please see below for the latest puzzle PCC#31 - "Chain Reaction"

[Level 4] Meta prompt: The answer to the meta is a term used in nuclear physics

Many thanks to FrankieHeck and Abide for test-solving and suggestions for improvement. Shout-out to Joe Ross as always for tech support.

Note: the level is the intended difficulty I had in mind when I designed the puzzle, but may play differently since every solver has their own area of expertise... what one person may find easy, another may find difficult.

Have fun and keep in mind if you're ever lost at sea, google is your best friend (actually, I don't know if you'd get internet service in the middle of the ocean)
-Phil :mrgreen:

Chain Reaction
crosshare
PUZ
PDF
spreadsheet

PCC31 Chain Reaction-1.png

Nudges below:

Hint #1: 16-Across and 24-Down loosely describe the mechanism... the game mentioned in 60-Across is worth looking up... and beware of falling into 8-Down

Hint #2: Study all the clues carefully

Hint #3: Note that there are lots of repeated words... spectrum, gambling, curry... this can't be a coincidence can it?

Hint #4: The last word of a clue would lead you to the first word of another clue - example: 1A Ingredient in a bhindi masala curry leads you to 26-Down Curry favor... then the new last word favor will lead you to a new clue that starts with that word and so on

Hint #5: You will end up with a 21-word chain... take the first letters of the entries in this chain... it's up to you to determine where the chain starts

Solution below - SPOILER ALERT:

Answer explanation: Answer explanation: Hinted by the game "Last Word, First Word" in the clue for IMPROVCLASS, solvers needed to create a word chain in which the last word of a clue would lead you to the first word of another clue... in OKRA, the last word is "curry" which starts the clue for FAWN... in FAWN, the last word is "favor" which starts the clue for POR... and so on... extracting the first letters of the entries starting from OKRA and ending at EEL gives you: OFPUZZLEISANSWERTITLE... note that EEL loops back around to OKRA with the word "ingredient"... If we begin the 21-word chain at the T from TISSUE and add some spaces, we get "Title of puzzle is answer"... and so the answer to the meta is "Chain Reaction" - a term used in nuclear physics

On March 14, we get Pi Day because 3.14 correlates to the first three digits of the mathematical constant... one month later we now have World Quantum Day... April 14 was chosen because "4.14" represents the rounded first three digits of Planck's constant: 4.14×10−15 eV·s

Attachments
(453.04 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
(3.53 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
(179.15 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
Last edited by pchow13 on Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:32 pm, edited 6 times in total.
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

So cool, Phil! Possibly my favorite of yours yet (and the bar was already set high!)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Good puzzle! I needed a couple of hints because I have a couple of other puzzles on the go, and I was feeling lazy! :D
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Turned the corner. Even though Ineeded all but the last hint I am very impressed with this construction.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
rjy

Post by rjy »

Got waylaid a few times, but finally gave in to just a single nudge. Wow! Very clever, Phil, really loved this!
Ray
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Nudge #2 got me to look in the right place.

Turned the corner and then some.
Untitledzzturn.png
Thanks, Phil -- Great puzzle!
hoover

Post by hoover »

:o