World Wide Web March31, 2024

Puzzles from one of the best in the business which include themed crosswords and metas.
Sunday Crossword by Evan Birnholz
Washington Post Sunday puzzle reveals.
hcbirker

World Wide Web March31, 2024

Post by hcbirker »

World Wide Web

This puzzle has two internet-related meta answers, both of which are seven letters long.
Heidi
damefox

Post by damefox »

Great puzzle! First answer came easy, took me longer than it should have to see the second one. Matt pointed out over on Fiend that this puzzle would've worked as a satisfying meta with only one answer, but Evan of course went the extra mile and gave us two. Really fun!
MMe

Post by MMe »

Fun!
Unintentional (?) Easter egg (appropriate today), is that the themers spell Ed Pluth, who is a professor at Cal State Chico. Way to go, Ed! :lol:
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Got em both and thoroughly enjoyed! I don’t see anywhere to confirms answers, but both of mine are clearly related. Fun!
The other Wendy. :roll:
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Great puzzle, Evan!
woozy

Post by woozy »

HeadinHome wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:35 pm Got em both and thoroughly enjoyed! I don’t see anywhere to confirms answers, but both of mine are clearly related. Fun!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... -wide-web/

You have to search the WaPo's search bar. I usually search on https://www.washingtonpost.com/search/?query=birnholz and that should usually do it.

I'm a bit scared to read as I haven't figured the second answer yet. I have several standard tricks but they haven't yielded anything, and I don't know if I just want to know or if there's just that one thing I haven't tried. (can't see how)

EDIT: I *knew* shouldn't have read the article. I *did* consider that method but dismissed it because.... I don't know why I dismissed it. I thought it was too easy or something silly like that.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Very fun puzzle by Evan! Took me a bit to find the second one.
Heidi
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Got the first one easily then tried all kinds of gymnastics for the second (though I SAW what I was supposed to, I just didn't use it). This puzzle would have been fun WITHOUT the meta, certainly WITH the meta and OMG with TWO metas. Evan, should we ever meet, remind me I owe you a drink!

Splendid job

T
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!