GO for THE GOLD by Darth

Formerly known as the “Sunday Summer Substitute”, editor Cap'n Rick now takes the helm for 'Smooth Sailing Sundays'. As The Commodores sang about Sunday morning, the SSS will focus on easier metas. SSS will also support smaller grids and will mentor new constructors on request. Puzzles released each Sunday around 8am Eastern. Nudges released same day at Noon Eastern. New constructors are welcome.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Sssolved! Misssed the Day One list, but fun one, Darth!
Ray
Darth

Post by Darth »

More names for the SSS Leader Board: We've got 62 solvers so far (and I'll keep updating the running total here until the "reveal" on Saturday)

rjy
Kulea
katie
DIS
Tom Wilson
Jaclyn
dannyvee
JHSeeman
Eric Porter
KayW
David
Sobekneferu
TerminatorX
antdisp
frostyjhammer
Last edited by Darth on Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:33 am, edited 5 times in total.
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

Thanks for the puzzle. I shouldn't have needed the nudges as I'd seen everything they were pointing me to, but I just hadn't put it all together.
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :snake: SSSolved - NNNice one!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Darth

Post by Darth »

THANK YOU to all who "went for the gold" and attempted this puzzle!

The answer to the meta is someone associated with gold.
So....In light of the upcoming Olympic games this summer...
OIF.jpg
Here are two ways to get to the solution: As hinted indirectly by 15A, this meta "cloud" is lined with "gold" if you can spot the "element" that comes up "periodically" in the grid. You'll find the chemical symbol for gold, AU, under each of the three long themers in the grid. But what are they "lining" exactly? The letters above each occurrence spell out the answer. and As directed by the puzzle's title, GO for THE GOLD, and the BTS song in 25D, take two letters after THE in each of the themers: PH+EL+PS That's PHELPS, as in Michael Phelps, who holds the all-time record for Olympic gold medals: 23!