"A Matter of Course" April 5, 2024

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

Happy to be on shore, having failed the last three weeks.
Bmacdo

Post by Bmacdo »

Quick swim to the beach after 3 consecutive weeks of drowning. Matt takes pity and throws us a lifeline once in a while. Fun and challenging grid and a clever meta. Gonna try a "dark 'n' stormy," inspired by a NYT puzzle clue this morning.
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

MileHighSolver wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:15 pm Ashore! Got to a late start after driving back from Colorado Springs this afternoon. Me and the fam spent the week down there - was our first vacation as a family of 4. Nothing like a walk through the Garden of the Gods to clear the mind before the weekly meta. Discovered a new Italian wine variety last night - Montepulciano. I remembered I liked it last night prior to the Grappa, so going to open this bottle and have a glass!

Cheers everyone!
Haven't been to Garden of the Gods since the 90s when I was still young enough and fit enough for a rock climbing sojourn -- gorgeous area! Glad you were able to get away for some family time.
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
Damaged

Post by Damaged »

Ashore... I think.

Garçon! Coffee!
SingleMalt

Post by SingleMalt »

Ashore! Will be filling the trusty glass with a Kilchoman when the appointed hour arrives!
Adajeo

Post by Adajeo »

Late to the beach, but ashore. I had the meta WAY before I finished the grid - just now.
Screenshot 2024-04-05 114346.png
"To finish the moment, to find the journey’s end in every step of the road, to live the greatest number of good hours, is wisdom" Ralph Waldo Emerson
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

Late to the beach, but relieved to be here after last week's debacle. Ready for any cocktail denoting spring, so I can ignore the 30 degree temps and snow in April :)
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
tunacan

Post by tunacan »

I heard there was a Discord server. Could I get a link please?
jrdad

Post by jrdad »

Ashore! Fun
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

On the beach.
Tough grid, but c'mon meta. Par for the course.
There wasn't a "Whole lotta shakin goin on" , "JustSome Motion" this morning in New Jersey this morning. Magnitude 4.8 at 10:23 AM about 40 km away.
Janet

Post by Janet »

As a matter of course, I am hanging out on the beach. Thank heavens no rain today.
dk letter

Post by dk letter »

Will anyone be at the American Crossword Puzzle Tournament (ACPT) this weekend? If so, I would love to say hello!

P.S. I’m ashore :-)
Fogway

Post by Fogway »

Ashore. Morning Fog chardonnay, please.
chocoholic

Post by chocoholic »

On the beach (literally, I am in Cancun), but the cruise ship brought me a printed WSJ, so I was able to do the puzzle today. This one was much easier than in previous weeks.
Enjoying a pina colada.
Joe K

Post by Joe K »

Done and done. I spent hours going down one rabbit hole that looked promising, but then I saw it. G&T for me.

And yes, we survived the earthquake in NJ, and yes we felt the whole house shake.
Ann

Post by Ann »

On the shore!
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

The Friday Zoom is always fun and today was no exception! Great to see everyone and have a great weekend!

We are getting ready for total eclipse Monday. We are in the direct path and expect to see it around 3:30 pm Eastern.
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
debbierudy

Post by debbierudy »

Ashore! I love coherence of the grid and meta, and it is suitably playful for a children's song!
Craven_Mug_Craver

Post by Craven_Mug_Craver »

Grid was a hard and bitter slog but the meta dropped out quickly. Is today opposite today?

No matter...a glass of bishop with you, my friends, and --as always-- "confusion to the French!"

(Yes, I have been reading my Patrick O'Brian).
---

Grids are easy...metas are hard.
fourletterword

Post by fourletterword »

A day late on the start, but now resting in the sand.