MGWCC #826 — “Sound Alternatives”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Joe Ross

MGWCC #826 — “Sound Alternatives”

Post by Joe Ross »

MGWCC #826 — Friday, March 29th, 2024 — “Sound Alternatives”

NOTE: The clues on the regular PDF are a bit small this week, so I’m sending along both the regular one plus a bare-bones version whose clues are a little larger. Use either one you prefer (not a meta trick! Just don’t want to strain your eyes).

THIS WEEK’S INSTRUCTIONS:
This week’s contest answer is a six-letter word.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Joe Ross wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:56 am MGWCC #826 — Friday, March 29th, 2024 — “Sound Alternatives”

NOTE: The clues on the regular PDF are a bit small this week, so I’m sending along both the regular one plus a bare-bones version whose clues are a little larger. Use either one you prefer (not a meta trick! Just don’t want to strain your eyes).

THIS WEEK’S INSTRUCTIONS:
This week’s contest answer is a six-letter word.
I just printed out both versions. Microscopic font 2 type vs very small font 6 type. :(

Do they have a senior citizens version?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:07 pm Do they have a senior citizens version?

PDF: MGWCC826 Sound Alternatives LARGEST Clues
Attachments
(47.91 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Joe Ross wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:16 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:07 pm Do they have a senior citizens version?

PDF: MGWCC826 Sound Alternatives LARGEST Clues
A significant improvement - thanks
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Joe

Post by Joe »

Well, that was definitely a crossword puzzle I just solved.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

50 minutes for King Jangler? What chance do we mere mortals have? But seriously, congrats to Jeffrey on his 600th solve...
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Awaiting the beam... [Discord group-solve for the win!]

... and I'm beamed at #4. That's my highest placing ever! :D
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Whoa. I think I got it, just missed an update though. Almost could have made the top 10.

Edit: Woot, #10! But I'm sure the Easter badge is partly to blame for submissions being slow, I keep forgetting about that.
Last edited by Laura M on Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

Another Discord group-solve participant here.
I'll wait to submit on Easter since I didn't get the Halloween badge (due to meeting my son for the first time, so not complaining!)

Beamed!
Last edited by SamKat9 on Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
Meg

Post by Meg »

I’m loving me some Discord! I'm gonna wait until Sunday to get the Easter badge. There is a lovely aha moment when you see the trick.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

On my own, I have what I think is the right mechanism. From it, I've got four letters, which is enough to make me think I'm right but just haven't figured out how to parse things to get the other two. I'm tempted to stop scanning through all these words again and again and just take a WAG.

UPDATE: My WAG was correct.
I coulda been a contender, I coulda been #5 instead of #26, which is what I am. Let's face it.

I had the metanism all wrong. Well, not all wrong. My version did give me four of the correct letters. But I never would have figured out the precise method, which is, of course, far better than the one I used.
Last edited by Bird Lives on Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Group solve with help of discord. Haven't submitted yet so not 100%. What is the Easter Badge ?
Meg

Post by Meg »

minimuggle wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:48 pm Group solve with help of discord. Haven't submitted yet so not 100%. What is the Easter Badge ?
There’s a set of badges on Matt's site. If you click on the blue version of your name (this week tab), you can see the badges you’ve earned.
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Meg wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:49 pm
minimuggle wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:48 pm Group solve with help of discord. Haven't submitted yet so not 100%. What is the Easter Badge ?
There’s a set of badges on Matt's site. If you click on the blue version of your name (this week tab), you can see the badges you’ve earned.
Thanks Meg, I'm sure I won't have any badges :).
Meg

Post by Meg »

minimuggle wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:55 pm
Meg wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:49 pm
Thanks Meg, I'm sure I won't have any badges :).
I checked. You have a bunch!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Another good group solve on Discord, though this time I have serious doubts I would have arrived at the solution… this one is very clandestine without much to point one to the method. So, I’ll take my nudges and just accept the asterisk beside this solve. It’s Easter.. all is well. ( :

Beamed up at #13,,, even that doesn’t bother me.
The other Wendy. :roll:
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Beamed at Michael Jordan. Great epiphany with this one!

Cracked a Week 5 Gaffney, released a full day after the WSJ, before the Week 5 Shenk (week 5 in my mind!) on which I'm still adrift. I still speak Gaffnese more fluently than Shenkish.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beamed!

By way of skimming the Discord confab. A note or three there got me thinking in the right way.

Wow, the metas lately have been SO creative and devious. A joy for me, even when I’m relying on help from others.

Thanks, Matt!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Bird Lives wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:31 pm .
I coulda been a contender, I coulda been #5 instead of #26, which is what I am. Let's face it.
My night!? I coulda taken Wilson apart!... You was my brother Charlie, you shoulda looked after me...
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

Typo.

It's actually the Easter Honey Badger, a crazy, nasty something from the Arabian desert. They break into your house and eat all the chocolate bunnies in your Easter basket, but they're so unpredictable and dangerous, that they don't bite the ears off first.

It's as terrifying as it sounds.