"Look After The Theme And The Meta Will Take Care Of Itself" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

hoover wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:34 am
benchen71 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:10 pm This one played harder than I was expecting, possibly because Steven Soderbergh movies are not as well-known as I thought! "Out of Sight" is a brilliant movie starring George Clooney in one of his first notable movie roles and Jennifer Lopez in one of her first notable movie roles. I remember loving the non-linear narrative, complete with a couple of twists that come out of nowhere. So I thought the entry point for the solve would be reading the clue for 5D and discovering the answer was "Haywire" (a far less known movie, which I have not actually seen).
The only Steven Soderbergh movie I could name without looking it up is sex, lies, and videotape.
I can do you one better: I'd never heard of Steven Soderbergh! 🤦‍♀️
woozy

Post by woozy »

schmidzy wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:48 am
hoover wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:34 am
benchen71 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:10 pm This one played harder than I was expecting, possibly because Steven Soderbergh movies are not as well-known as I thought! "Out of Sight" is a brilliant movie starring George Clooney in one of his first notable movie roles and Jennifer Lopez in one of her first notable movie roles. I remember loving the non-linear narrative, complete with a couple of twists that come out of nowhere. So I thought the entry point for the solve would be reading the clue for 5D and discovering the answer was "Haywire" (a far less known movie, which I have not actually seen).
The only Steven Soderbergh movie I could name without looking it up is sex, lies, and videotape.
I can do you one better: I'd never heard of Steven Soderbergh! 🤦‍♀️
I just assumed he meant Steven Sondheim musicals......
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.