"That's Messed Up!" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
Abide

Post by Abide »

Got the idea with 20% complete, so I guess being messed up is in my wheelhouse!
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

After another 24 hours, the tally stands at 37:

DCBilly
dannyvee
frostyjhammer
LarsCaine
Darrell
Bird Lives
whimsy
Abide
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. There are two hints in the grid. The explicit hint is in the clue for 69A: Order the author of "Cloud Cuckoo Land" Anthony ___ to provide you with a subtle hint. The implicit hint is 39A.

2. The puzzle title, 39A, and the first word of the clue for 69A all hint at something cryptic crossword solvers probably worked out pretty quickly.

3. "Trouble", "messed up", and "order" are all potential anagram markers in cryptic crossword clues.

4. But what to anagram? 69A is not just a hint to the mechanism; it's part of the mechanism!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Moat has finally been crossed, and the castle stormed, and the mess cleaned up. Thanks for the puzzle, Ben!
Matthew
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Needed the nudges, but crossed the moat! Loved the end!
Cynthia
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Late getting to metas. Peeked at the nudges and crossed the moat. Loved it! Thanks, Ben!
Cindy Heisler
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Crossed the moat needing all the nudges.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the final solver update before the answer reveal:

MatthewL
CPJohnson
kurtalert
Cindy Heisler
Streroto
SJMcK
Dave C
DrTom

We reached a grand total of 45! :D
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the solution to "That's Messed Up!":

That's Messed up! (solution).png

The impetus for this puzzle was making solvers anagram at the very end to get the meta answer. Normally, if you have to anagram to get the answer it means you haven't understood the meta mechanism completely. There is usually a logical reason for the order of the letters, whether it be grid order, clue order, or some other order.

So I knew I wanted solvers to form a word using regular grid order. But that word would somehow imply they still needed to anagram those letters to get the final answer. When I stumbled on the TRAGEDY/GYRATED pair I knew I was off to the races. The puzzle title also has a similar double-meaning: "That's messed up!" is something you might say when someone has shared a sad story. It also suggests anagrams.

I had all my theme entries relatively quickly. I was hoping for some longer ones so I just had to use REDUCTION/INTRODUCE when I came across it, and ECHIDNA/CHAINED was also too good to pass up. (Was that the entry that clued you into anagrams? I mean who would chain up an echidna!) Then, DOERR/ORDER made for a suitable final entry hint, since "order" is also a cryptic crossword anagram marker. Then, when I was putting the grid together, the grid I had chosen had space for an additional hint in the central entry. TROUBLE fits with the "messed up"/"tragedy" angle as well as being yet another anagram marker.

So, fess up: who submitted GYRATED first? :D