"The Joyce Is Yours" March 8, 2024

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
The XWord Rabbit

Post by The XWord Rabbit »

rsz_paint_dry (1).jpg

Well, it’s clear. It’s another week when your Rabbit has nothing to work with. But he is a resourceful bunny
and has found a way to connect the title of Mr. Gaffney’s “The Joyce is Yours” puzzle with the upcoming
St. Patrick’s Day holiday.

A not-so-serious web search turned up “The Top 10 Most Famous Irish People Ever” on IB4UD (That’s ‘Ireland
Before You Die’.) One of the names on that list is James JOYCE . (He weighed in at #8.)

rsz_james-joyce.jpg

Your Rabbit invites you to have a go, guessing the others before peeking at the “answers” here:

https://www.irelandbeforeyoudie.com/top ... ople-ever/

A few of the names the Rabbit agrees with, but as to the rest … uh…well, let’s just say he felt fortunate finding
two others. He hopes you'll be even luckier and (shudder) not need a rabbit’s foot to do so. Until next week, then…
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

ship4u wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:53 pm As a craftsman and a tool fanatic, I am embarassed to report that I did not see Black & Decker straight away. Alas, I even own an original Black & Decker Workmate from the 1970's and the company originated in my home town of Baltimore, Md.........
BethA wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:41 pm My husband has the Workmate, probably from the ‘90s, but it looks quite similar, and he is also from Maryland.
Add my dad to list of Workmate-owning Marylanders. Technically he's from Philly but he lived just outside Baltimore ever since he came back from Vietnam and met my mom. I don't know when he got it, but I remember it in the garage.
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
psg117

Post by psg117 »

I solved the meta correctly, but only from recognizing “Rolls” as a nickname for Rolls-Royce. Seeing mention of ROLLS being “used with the title (Joyce/ ROYCE) leads to the contest answer”, I feel like something went over my head? In my mind, the only way Joyce becomes Royce is if it’s said in a Scooby-doo voice :D
Mirage

Post by Mirage »

psg117 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:59 pm I solved the meta correctly, but only from recognizing “Rolls” as a nickname for Rolls-Royce. Seeing mention of ROLLS being “used with the title (Joyce/ ROYCE) leads to the contest answer”, I feel like something went over my head? In my mind, the only way Joyce becomes Royce is if it’s said in a Scooby-doo voice :D
The center square in the grid where the intersection of 35A and 34D meet is the letter R. I used that as confirmation that the J in Joyce was swapped out for R.
Last edited by Mirage on Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colin

Post by Colin »

ship4u wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:53 pm As a craftsman and a tool fanatic, I am embarassed to report that I did not see Black & Decker straight away. Alas, I even own an original Black & Decker Workmate from the 1970's and the company originated in my home town of Baltimore, Md.........

DSC_1179.JPG
@ship4u I’ll see your workmate and raise you a hand vac!

The vac is late 90s (although the url in the plastic has me doubting) and the workmate (I think) is very early 80s. Clearly, yours gets more use than mine, but that might be because of the annoying rubber foot that pops off every time I open up the stand. Apart from that, great product!
Attachments
IMG_8452.jpeg
IMG_8453.jpeg
One world. One planet. One future.
woozy

Post by woozy »

psg117 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:59 pm I solved the meta correctly, but only from recognizing “Rolls” as a nickname for Rolls-Royce. Seeing mention of ROLLS being “used with the title (Joyce/ ROYCE) leads to the contest answer”, I feel like something went over my head? In my mind, the only way Joyce becomes Royce is if it’s said in a Scooby-doo voice :D
It just follows the meta theme. You get one name of the business (Rolls). Take the name of the Partner (Royce) and Change one letter (Joyce)

I actually thought the title was kind of dumb. I can't really grouse as it's accurate and works but I thought it was dumb. I thought we'd have to find business partners named Joyce.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
psg117

Post by psg117 »

Ahhh, this is super helpful. Thank you!
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Tick, tick, tick. Will 4 pm EVER get here?
Attachments
IMG_0114.jpeg
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

Hi all.

This will be the last of a series of about 34 planned posts I have made since August of 2021. I would have liked to have waited until four more posts had been made to this topic, but I don't think that will happen soon enough.

Why, do you ask?

During this period, it appears that no one took notice of the post number of any of these posts (most of which were clown cartoons), all of which featured a certain item which was very appropriate to that post number. And it's appropriate today, too!

Here's todays entry.

Larsen Cartoon.jpg

PS. Didn't get this weeks meta. Seems I'm not getting many WSJ metas at all, recently. That's OK. Hope to see you again sometime!

--
OGuyDave
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

OGuyDave wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:46 pm Hi all.

This will be the last of a series of about 34 planned posts I have made since August of 2021. I would have liked to have waited until four more posts had been made to this topic, but I don't think that will happen soon enough.

Why, do you ask?

During this period, it appears that no one took notice of the post number of any of these posts (most of which were clown cartoons), all of which featured a certain item which was very appropriate to that post number. And it's appropriate today, too!

Here's todays entry.

PS. Didn't get this weeks meta. Seems I'm not getting many WSJ metas at all, recently. That's OK. Hope to see you again sometime!

--
OGuyDave
Yay! A megameta!
mikeB

Post by mikeB »

On the ship, heading toward Sydney, Australia. Stuck for now, but hopeful that I'll wake up tomorrow in Sydney with some connections between these dots that have revealed themselves.