"Ahead of Time" March 1, 2024

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

Hello! The contest answer is ALREADY. Seven answers contain three-letter abbreviations of the days of the week. As suggested by the answer PREDATE and the title, the letters preceding those abbreviations spell the contest answer.

Happy March--we had a very strong turnout for this clever puzzle: 1848 entries, with an impressive 94% correct. Other guesses included EARLY (24), WEEKLY (24), DAILY (15), PREMATURELY (4), FORWARD (2), and PREVIOUSLY (2). Still waiting to confirm this week's winner... stay tuned.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

I am always learning from this great community. A while back someone made a comment that if the answer is an adverb the last letter is known. Of course, but it had not dawned on me.

This time I saw the Y in southeast corner and the rest followed. Thanks muggles!!!

Stay well
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

After seeing Mike Miller's post, I searched my spam folder in zest. Alas, nothing there......
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
The XWord Rabbit

Post by The XWord Rabbit »

Well, it's pretty clear the XWord Rabbit is not going to get anything to work with this week.
He thought about posting another Carmen Miranda video, but decided to go with this instead.

rsz_1rsz_img20230503_09414739.jpg

Now that the Olympics are fast approaching it's time to drag out that old photo of
Mr. Guffman (third from left), your X-Word Rabbit writer, and Mr. Adair (second from
right) your X-Word Rabbit artist, back in the days when they still deluded themselves
into thinking they could have been Olympians. Until next week, then.

curling2.jpg
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

And now here's the winner: Congratulations to Kate Massa of Freehold, NY!
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

ship4u wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:46 pm After seeing Mike Miller's post, I searched my spam folder in zest. Alas, nothing there......
I'll bet you are not alone!
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

The XWord Rabbit wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:34 pm
Well, it's pretty clear the XWord Rabbit is not going to get anything to work with this week.
He thought about posting another Carmen Miranda video, but decided to go with this instead.

rsz_1rsz_img20230503_09414739.jpg

Somewhere in the digitized version of my parents' slide collection is a picture of me, around age 4, one hand on my hip and the other up towards the fruit on my head as I sashayed my way to trick or treating.