MEOW #170 Take A Good Look

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
rjy

Post by rjy »

KayW wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:31 pm I took all the suggestions and made 3 more incorrect guesses... er, submissions :lol:

Rather discouraging to someone who thinks she likes and knows musicals.
I’m in the same boat - I’ve made 3 submissions, all for naught. I think knowing musicals - in my case, really knowing musicals - is more of a disadvantage here. I’m likely overthinking - as more of a deep cuts person - with way too many ideas. The answer’s sure to be a total head-slapper. Gotta keep thinking that the good doctor said “hit” musical.
Ray
ajk

Post by ajk »

Yeah this is a musical that *I* have heard of, which is a pretty high bar. :lol:
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
rjy

Post by rjy »

Just had a powwow with the missus and she said something oblique to get me to the finish line. Phew! Just happened not to be on the same wavelength initially as the good doctor, but it all made sense in the end. Enjoyed wrestling with this one, Dr Tom!
Ray
KayW

Post by KayW »

Well I did not have access to Mrs. @rjy :lol: but I too have finally dragged that cat out of the bag. And I do know and love the musical and the song. Thanks for the musical challenge!

And no, my other entries were not solid or worthy of being accepted - I was just... flailing after hitting a mental block.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Ten more of you have joined the chorus:

26 Dow Jones
27 markhr
28 benchen71
29 Sharkicicles
30 Headinhome
31 heidi
32 JM
33 ergcat
34 rjy
35 KayW

I guess I had better try the WSJ and see how I do at solving someone else's puzzle! I'm afraid because I am seeing a lot of comments on its relative ease, which usually means I will flounder badly. We will see

T
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Finally --
Untitledzzfatkitty.png
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Joining the list of solvers:

36 whimsy
37 LB800
38 andeux

Just a trickle now and I know not to expect too many more. WSJ was pretty solvable so I won't use the "everyone is solving the WSJ" for my excuse. I guess I tried to push the envelope just a bit too much.

T
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Two more to bump it to 40!

39 Tyrpmom
40 Berto

Some last ditch nudges:

The puzzle came out on Feb 28th, normally that would be the end of the month..but not this year

What would Nudge 5 suggest about February then?

Is there a song from a musical (hint - what city does the graphic look like the guy is staring out over) that might describe EXACTLY what the meta implies?
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, we've reached the forties!!!

40 Berto
41 Rick
42 Abide

I'm struggling with (1) a new puzzle (2) Mikeys puzzle. So I may not be as attentive as usual, but I'm still here!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

The REVEAL:

“The best laid plans of mice and meta constructors oft times go astray”

So easy I said, this is leap year so a puzzle on February 28th with an appropriate “hook” should be a snap!

What to do, OK, use 8 instance of a leap associated word (and use different ones so it is not TOO obvious). Great, I can work 4 instances of HOP and 4 instances of JUMP in without a problem, and though in order, they do not have to be symmetric because the HOP/JUMP gives them away.
Take a Good Gaphic Reveal.jpg
Yeah, but LEAP YEAR is not enough, people will expect that…Oh, I know, normally on the 28th of February the month is done, but this year we will have one day more! Hey, wait a minute, “One Day More” isn’t that a song from the widely popular and wildly famous Les Miserables musical? I mean that shows up in Crosswords SO often it is almost an ALI or OREO answer!!!

Well, that was my thinking at least, good grief was I wrong! First of all I was surprised to hear how many folks had not heard of the musical or most of the music; being a devoted Misophile that was incomprehensible. But, and this is the biggest surprise, I did not realize how many other titles might fit, or that I unwittingly gave nudges to one of the best alternates!

I mean my first clue references Little Orphan Annie and later on I have something about Lizards scattered among all the “leaping” (well hopping and jumping) references. This widely popular and wildly famous musical “Annie” has a hit number “Tomorrow” and why would I not reference that in a Feb 28th meta which spells out LEAP YEAR.

My thanks to those who stuck with it after Crosshare rejected their entry (making them Les Miserables I’d imagine) and went further to ONE DAY more, perhaps spurred on by the graphic that was stolen directly from the Les Mis movie of Javert (Russel Crowe) ready to leap to his death.

Tomorrow was accepted – how could I not – but I am such a fan of Les Mis I promised to play One Day More for every Tomorrow I received (there have been about 6).

Thank you to @Hector for pointing out my song bias, I was blissfully unaware of the trap I had lain for myself or, to circle back, how much I had gone astray. Now, in one day more (that is tomorrow) you will be treated to a BirdLives puzzle (yes TWICE this week) and it is a fun one! See you in a week and one...well you know the rest