"Dropdown Menus" - February 25th, 2024

Available by emailing a request to PandorasBlocksWMC[at]gmail[dot]com, these meta puzzles are distributed by email every Sunday. Pandora's Blocks crosswords are intended to spread the popularity of meta crosswords, however, they are not just for beginners and run the gamut it terms of difficulty.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Dino me! Fun Pandora, which just makes it harder to think we have to say “Au revoir” (not Adieu mind you!) to Will’s Sunday dinners.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Dino me, after a nudge got me out of an inviting rabbit hole. :)
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Berto

Post by Berto »

Finally Dino-me! Ugh, really need to remember to go back to pencil and paper when all else fails!!
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Dino me (finally). Needed several nudges from a very patient muggle to finally see it.
Matthew
Renee

Post by Renee »

xcb xfvnb
Last edited by Renee on Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alvibu67

Post by Alvibu67 »

Dino me!

I was grousing to myself about solvers who take a break from the puzzle, come back to it and exclaim, “There it is!”

So I took a break from the puzzle and … AHA!

So glad I became back to it. Thanks, Will!

Allison
hoover

Post by hoover »

Dang, I'm not seeing it. BRB... I'm going for a walk.
hoover

Post by hoover »

hoover wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:19 pm Dang, I'm not seeing it. BRB... I'm going for a walk.
Welp, that did it! Dino me!
woozy

Post by woozy »

Alvibu67 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:31 pm Dino me!

I was grousing to myself about solvers who take a break from the puzzle, come back to it and exclaim, “There it is!”

So I took a break from the puzzle and … AHA!

So glad I became back to it. Thanks, Will!

Allison
All right. I'll try that!
hoover wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:34 pm
hoover wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:19 pm Dang, I'm not seeing it. BRB... I'm going for a walk.
Welp, that did it! Dino me!
Welp! I'll try that too.

And ...grouse mutter grumble.... jerks....

(I think I've had more success with staring and saying "I'm going to see something in the next five minute if it kills me" (It was successful once) than I've had with taking a break and coming back.

EDIT: Ah, there it is. Kind of amazing I missed it all along. I don't think this is either coming back are forcing it. But it's more "run it through my mind, again and again, and oh, it could mean something... oh, it has to mean something".

Really glad I stuck to it. And glad I didn't ask for a nudge.
Last edited by woozy on Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
ReB

Post by ReB »

Dino me finally with the help of a nudge from a fellow muggle.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Still not seeing it, but plenty of time with MGWCC and WSJCC behind me.

Quick question though, in the instructions, what is meant by "As usual, no Google here"?
hoover

Post by hoover »

woozy wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:08 pm Ah, there it is. Kind of amazing I missed it all along. I don't think this is either coming back are forcing it. But it's more "run it through my mind, again and again, and oh, it could mean something... oh, it has to mean something".

Really glad I stuck to it. And glad I didn't ask for a nudge.
What I found most helpful was recalling that someone on this board had (more than) once said Everything is there for a reason.
hoover

Post by hoover »

Streroto wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:52 pm Still not seeing it, but plenty of time with MGWCC and WSJCC behind me.

Quick question though, in the instructions, what is meant by "As usual, no Google here"?
I think it means you won't need to Google "Margaret Cho" or "Yma Sumac" or "Tony-winning musicals" to answer the meta.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Ohhhhh. Thanks!!!
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Dino me. I kept coming back to my filled grid all week, trying different things...finally it clicked this morning! Thanks for another fun meta, Will!
rjy

Post by rjy »

Qmark wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:06 am Dino me. I kept coming back to my filled grid all week, trying different things...finally it clicked this morning! Thanks for another fun meta, Will!
Ditto! Exact same scenario… glad I resisted the nudges. Gonna miss you when you’re (…er, your puzzles’re) gone, Will, enjoying them!
Ray
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

sadly, two walks and a few days and still in a daze
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Anita

Post by Anita »

After a friendly nudge, finally got this. Dino me!