"Ahead of Time" March 1, 2024

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
straffin

Post by straffin »

Wow... decades of loving word puzzles of all kinds and I *still* just can't seem to see the meta in these puzzles. And this one is apparently fairly straightforward. :cry:

I mean, I think I have an idea, but it doesn't seem to go anywhere.

I'm not likely able to make the Zoom call tonight, so... I can has nudge?
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Ashore...it's always fun when you solve it.
Henry Paul

Post by Henry Paul »

Hello Isaac my old friend. I’ve come to talk to you again.
‘Cuz for five lousy weeks or so, our meta answer’s are no go.
And the vision of Muggles on the beach — so out of reach — reflect our lack of puzzle solving.

“Lousy” is an apt adverb.

Apologies to Paul Simon (and anyone else who now has an ear worm.)

Stay safe all; maybe I'll be back with a surprise announcement of being on the beach...
MileHighSolver

Post by MileHighSolver »

Made it ashore last night after I put the kiddos down for the night. I won’t be on the zoom call today - had to reschedule a dentist appointment due to early meetings next week. Hope everyone has a great weekend and look forward to next week!
Zobo3737

Post by Zobo3737 »

Finally. 🤦‍♂️
girubato1

Post by girubato1 »

Ashore!! Page 1(0)! Thought I wasn’t gonna get it then it hit me upside the head like a sack full of hoe handles. :mrgreen:
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

On shore!

Just a word of advice: Spelling is quite important when hoping to solve a meta. 🤦‍♀️
Konnie
Alvibu67

Post by Alvibu67 »

Ashore!

Smooth swim today!

Allison
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

On shore. Went down a very shallow rabbit hole at first, took a break, and then saw the meta.
Crest

Post by Crest »

Safely ashore
meowmiao71

Post by meowmiao71 »

Got to the puzzle late but a quick solve for me. I needed the ego boost after not getting the last two puzzles!
Henry Paul

Post by Henry Paul »

Henry Paul wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:36 pm Hello Isaac my old friend. I’ve come to talk to you again.
‘Cuz for five lousy weeks or so, our meta answer’s are no go.
And the vision of Muggles on the beach — so out of reach — reflect our lack of puzzle solving.

“Lousy” is an apt adverb.

Apologies to Paul Simon (and anyone else who now has an ear worm.)

Stay safe all; maybe I'll be back with a surprise announcement of being on the beach...
Hello, it's me. (Thank you Todd Rundgren)

One more look and there it 'twas. How we missed it.. SMH. Although, I saw the thing and the Mrs got the answer -- well, the answer we submitted... I would still be at it.

Our little pot of mint has surprisingly survived the winter rains; think I'll do a gin-based drink with mint tomorrow as celebration.
turbotron

Post by turbotron »

After completing a pretty tough grid, the light bulb didn't turn on until right as the Zoom anniversary session started. Perhaps @ship4u's candle-lighting ceremony was all the light I needed. :) Cheers to two years, folks!
WabiSabi

Post by WabiSabi »

turbotron wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:45 pm After completing a pretty tough grid, the light bulb didn't turn on until right as the Zoom anniversary session started. Perhaps @ship4u's candle-lighting ceremony was all the light I needed. :) Cheers to two years, folks!
I didn't realize it was a special occasion!
I jumped on at the very end after everyone else had left. I didn't even get a slice of cake. ;)
Guffman

Post by Guffman »

The New Yorker cartoon I mentioned -- too late to post on the Zoom call.

img_0001-775749.jpg
Last edited by Guffman on Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dk letter

Post by dk letter »

Ashore!

When I read the title of a puzzle, before even looking at the gird or prompt, often one or more mechanisms immediately leap to mind if the title is provocative. These mechanisms have never been right - before today!
cheekumbaldy

Post by cheekumbaldy »

Just got a chance to finish the grid, and the meta jumped out at me. Safely ashore!
Jayboy1

Post by Jayboy1 »

Onshore with help!
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Ashore! Introduced to the Revolver last night from a friend in town from Cincinnati. Tasty.
Kevin
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Another fun Friday Zoom! Thanks everyone for coming on as we celebrated 2 years of the continuous weekly Friday zoom sessions!

The celebration was marked by @turbotron who solved through the osmosis effect of simply being present amongst the group. No nudges were even mentioned yet!! Amazing!

Have a great week everyone!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!