"UMHO" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Just three more solvers:

I K Snamhcok
DrTom
Streroto

Nudges imminent!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. There is one vague hint in the grid: 16 across. So the themers are examples of advice.

2. But something seems a bit off with this advice. What might you do to restore the advice?

3. The puzzle title has also been affected.

4. The meta answer is what could come in front a piece of advice. It's not in the grid; it's deduced from the themers.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
ajk

Post by ajk »

Took me a couple of days to come up with the answer, but not the puzzle's fault. :lol: Fun one in the end, thanks.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Moat crossed. Should have gotten this much sooner than I did. Clever meta. Thanks, Ben!
Cindy Heisler
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Final solver update:

rayyandroid
ajk
Darrell
Spid4567
Cindy Heisler
Alvibu67
Susan
dooiemus
Mikey G
CPJohnson

That's a total of 53. Answer imminent!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the solution to "UMHO":

UMHO (solution).png

Note that the obscure title has also been affected: IMHO ("In my humble opinion") has been changed to UMHO. :D

Here's a relevant music video from one of my favourite bands, Switchfoot: