WSJ Acrostic [Sat, 01/27/24]

A place for discussion about variety puzzles such as acrostics, marching bands, rows and gardens, and diagramless.
DBMiller

WSJ Acrostic [Sat, 01/27/24]

Post by DBMiller »

Hadn't done an acrostic in some time and happened upon this one. Had to laugh at the clue/answer for the R entry
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

Last few of these have prefilled with last solve and revealed the answer. You have that?
KayW

Post by KayW »

mattythewsjpuzzler wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:25 pm Last few of these have prefilled with last solve and revealed the answer. You have that?
I know there's been lots of grumblings on it on the WSJ comments section the past several acrostics. I think there's a caching confusion of some sorts - the browser somehow gets confused and thinks it's the same puzzle as last time? But I'm not the most tech-savvy.

I always solve on a Windows 11 platform. The pre-fill gibberish happens to me whenever I open an acrostic in the Edge browser. I am reluctant to clear my cache or cookies there, so I use Mozilla Firefox for the acrostic puzzles. In Firefox, the puzzle ALWAYS comes up blank for me. Even if it's a puzzle I already solved, like this past week's when I went back to it just now. So it seems like "all or nothing", and in this case I prefer NOTHING to be retained from visit to visit.

Hope that made sense and helps!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
woozy

Post by woozy »

It's a pain (but kind of funny to see the old answers jammed into a new grid). But if you click the ERASE icon it clears it.

Also annoying is there acrostic front page (https://www.wsj.com/news/types/acrostic) hasn't been fixed to account for puzzles with dates in the new year. (New Year being 2023)
Just because it's intimidating, is no reason to be intimidated.

Putting together the unput togetherable: Fugue State