Harper’s February ‘24 Cryptic “Sixes and Sevens (and Twelves)”

Enter if you dare!
CromsFury

Harper’s February ‘24 Cryptic “Sixes and Sevens (and Twelves)”

Post by CromsFury »

February’s Maltby is available on the website.

These seem to come out earlier every month! (No! I am NOT complaining!!!)

Enjoy.
:ugeek:
Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo. - Virgil
Quand on lit trop vite où trop doucement, on n'entend rien. - Pascal
Nino

Post by Nino »

I am a Harper’s subscriber and when I log on their site and click on Current Issue, I’m seeing the January issue.

Where did you see the February puzzle?
CromsFury

Post by CromsFury »

Nino wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:43 am I am a Harper’s subscriber and when I log on their site and click on Current Issue, I’m seeing the January issue.

Where did you see the February puzzle?
https://harpers.org/puzzles/
Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo. - Virgil
Quand on lit trop vite où trop doucement, on n'entend rien. - Pascal
Nino

Post by Nino »

Thanks for the link.

As it turns out, in the meantime, the harpers.org site just updated the Current Issue to February 2024.

I’ll keep the link above in mind for future months if the Current Issue runs late again. I’ve found it’s usually updated by the 15th of the month, when the 15th doesn’t fall on a weekend (or a holiday, as it did this month)

And thanks again for the announcement
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

I’m so old-school, I still do the puzzle in the magazine when it arrives in the mail.

I haven’t actually read the magazine in years, maybe decades. I just do the puzzle.

This month’s was a bear for me. Hard! Though when finished, I had a nice sense of accomplishment.

I hope REMJ is up for many more years of this. His Harper’s puzzle has been going since 1976, if I recall correctly.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

I agree with Chris that this puzzle was challenging, but mainly because of the clueing. This puzzle reminded me of a hex where clues have extra words and at the end the extra words lead to the puzzle answer. Except in this puzzle the answer was that Maltby’s clueing is just sloppy.
Naptown Kid

Post by Naptown Kid »

For some reason, this one didn’t put up as much resistance as I usually get from Maltby. Not sure why. I got a couple twelves early after solving about four numbered clues, and that gave me a pretty solid toehold. I hear what oldjudge is saying about the wasted words but I get much more enjoyment than annoyance from his work. And I agree that his consistent output over such a long period of time is a marvel.