" WE’LL BE BACK SHORTLY" January 26, 2024

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

PHOFER wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:26 am On the shore, and it looks like it will be crowded. After Sunday midnight I’d be interested in seeing proposals for the best clue for the contest answer words (that is, a clue like the clues for the other theme answers).
I got mine
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
NuYear68

Post by NuYear68 »

Swam to shore this morning after wading in the surf yesterday afternoon. Nice one!
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

I looked again this morning and finally found the key that unlocked the whole thing. Ashore with a solo solve for the first time in a long time.
woozy

Post by woozy »

PHOFER wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:26 am On the shore, and it looks like it will be crowded. After Sunday midnight I’d be interested in seeing proposals for the best clue for the contest answer words (that is, a clue like the clues for the other theme answers).
Well, just concatenating the given clues for the entries (with a little allowance for grammar/syntax tweaking) is an acceptable clue.

But we're a creative bunch. We can do better.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
altosax

Post by altosax »

My first Thursday solve in several weeks. One of my ideas paid off, and I got it!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I didn't see the metanism right away, but after studying things, there it was.
Cynthia
sjm

Post by sjm »

Ashore with a nudge!
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

REMINDER: All are welcome to join us for our Friday Muggle Zoom session at 4:30 Eastern time. If you are coming up "short" in this week's WSJ, we'll be sure to provide a subtle nudge in the right direction. For those who have already solved, it is always fun to begin the weekend with muggle friends! And, you might just witness the treat of seeing someone else experience that AHA moment.

To join in, click on the Muggle Zoom Room tab at the top of the page. Hope to see you there!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

Had to sit on it overnight before it finally popped out to me. Gratefully basking on shore with a glass of our home-brewed Stout in hand and a braised lamb stew on the stove.
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

woozy wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:18 am
Well, just concatenating the given clues for the entries (with a little allowance for grammar/syntax tweaking) is an acceptable clue.

But we're a creative bunch. We can do better.
I love this bunch of folks. I have learned, yet another new word. When I saw "concatenating" I thought surely it was a typo, but looked it up and Lo and Behold, it was a real word that I had never heard of.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Friday morning muggles.

An interesting challenge from Matt with the usual questions of not as much how he thought of it but how he implemented it. So far we have had a steady stream to the shore. We have 3 enjoying Isaac's company and 116 on the shore.

And I agree with the comment about the cluing for 15A. That threw me for a loop until I unraveled it.

Don't forget the 4:30 zoom call. It should be fun.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

I don’t know why I didn’t solve this yesterday! I’m ashamed! But I liked it and solved it today!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

On the beach!

Just got to it 20 minutes ago. Quick solve but still a couple of holes to fill in on the grid.

I guess I’ll get back to it shortly!!
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Bonnibel

Post by Bonnibel »

Ashore without much of a struggle.

The weekend lies ahead on this lovely beach!

Taking it slow and easy, coffee please!
🌴🍹
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

🏝on shore🏝 after many hours of looking, thinking, chasing a few bunnies! Nice AHA moment!! (I personally don’t think this was *E-word* !!! )
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Ashore with the crowd!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
kurtalert

Post by kurtalert »

straffin wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:38 pm
RPardoe wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:24 pmGot it quickly this week.
kurtalert wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:26 pmOn shore - easy one, fun!
krf wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:29 pmToo easy.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Are we looking at the same grid? :?
Hah, sorry - usually I'm a total dunce with the WSJ metas, so I was quite surprised that I hit page 1 here. Although, it might just be Mike Shenk's puzzles- I'm much more on Gaffney's wavelength, apparently, as nearly all of the WSJ ones that I manage to solve are his, and I rarely get Shenk's.
mikeB

Post by mikeB »

Ashore, after a tough grid (for me) and then sleeping on it -- which often works when I'm stumped.
Birdbrain

Post by Birdbrain »

So lost, but no time to devote to staring at the puzzle. I'll be needing a nudge on zoom *again*.

Also, can someone hook me up with the discord info? Students will be back on campus next week and my Friday zoom time may be compromised!
Robin P
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

At sea. On first look at it this morning, I have nothing.