79. All the Time

Puzzles! Puns! The occasional crosswordese! Solve a new meta at the end of each of month at https://punofakind.blogspot.com/
woozy

Post by woozy »

MikeyG wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:15 pm the fill is brutal in places, which would never be allowed for a non-meta...so clearly, there usually must be a reason for that! I think determining issues in fill that cause us to raise our eyebrows is often a good solving strategy!

MikeyG wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:51 pm

1. There are an abnormal amount of As in this grid; that's really just a side effect of some other restrictions going on!
You know. I don't think I will *ever* notice those sorts of things.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
KayW

Post by KayW »

woozy wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:30 am
MikeyG wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:15 pm the fill is brutal in places, which would never be allowed for a non-meta...so clearly, there usually must be a reason for that! I think determining issues in fill that cause us to raise our eyebrows is often a good solving strategy!

1. There are an abnormal amount of As in this grid; that's really just a side effect of some other restrictions going on!
This helps me notice those sorts of things. And it's usually one of the first things I use when don't see anything right off the bat.

https://boisvert42.github.io/mechapuzzle/
It's an invaluable solving tool generously provided by Alex Boisvert, crossword constructor and Matt's webmaster. You just need to load a solved PUZ version of the puzzle.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
woozy

Post by woozy »

KayW wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:16 am
woozy wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:30 am

This helps me notice those sorts of things. And it's usually one of the first things I use when don't see anything right off the bat.

https://boisvert42.github.io/mechapuzzle/
It's an invaluable solving tool generously provided by Alex Boisvert, crossword constructor and Matt's webmaster. You just need to load a solved PUZ version of the puzzle.
Thanks again. Ben pointed that out to me long ago when I couldn't count what was directly in front of me.

It's not really helping me this time though. I see one thing off the bat but it's ... not really meaty. And nothing that the nudges so far could be alluding to.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

And that first nudge was definitely incidental (i.e., something you might notice but isn't really part of the mechanism). Here's our next clue:

2. When I'm stuck, I have a few adages. One is, 'Always, always go back to the title.' It's very necessary here, specifically its last word.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Finally got it! Nudges didn't really help, because I didn't understand them (until after I solved, whereupon they made complete sense). Thanks for the puzzle, Mikey!
Matthew
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Forgot about today's nudge! Tutoring until midnight!!

3. I could have given a bigger hint in the title, perhaps, if I titled it 'All the TIME.' Those four specific letters are important! Recall this is a visual meta also!

DCBilly

Post by DCBilly »

This one was killing me for days. Nudge 3 opened my eyes.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Limped home after the nudges told me to REALLY do what I started and abandoned because it was too unlikely. I've go to learn that there are no rules in Fight Club OR Metas...well I guess there IS one Fight Club rule, but for metas, well I am constantly talking about metas. Thanks Mike, some do not know the difficulty you must have had, but all of us constructors do - WOW!!!

"although I was not pecked to death by ducks, I WAS buried by squirrels whilst hiding nuts for the winter...!" DrTom
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I finally got it. It's about TIME I guess!
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
hoover

Post by hoover »

Woof!
woozy

Post by woozy »

MikeyG wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:12 pm Forgot about today's nudge! Tutoring until midnight!!

3. I could have given a bigger hint in the title, perhaps, if I titled it 'All the TIME.' Those four specific letters are important! Recall this is a visual meta also!
Ah, the first nudge that means anything/or not something I kind of assume.

Puzzle solved.

It's very interesting how other peoples and one's own minds work. And it's interesting how one thinks the way one's own mind works is easy and clear to all.

I think I can safely say, I will never solve this types of puzzles or look and see the key points of these mechanisms unless deliberatedly led by the nose. They simply are not things I ever notice.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

hoover wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:55 amWoof!
MEOW! (Oh, wait, that's another puzzle.)

Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Cat is out of the bag. Needed a couple nudges. Very clever and I'm sure difficult to construct. Thanks!

I read the above comment. Saw MEOW and forgot where I was!!! Duh!
Cindy Heisler
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

We're up to 38 solvers, making this a veritable Week 4 indeed. Final nudge/shove below, and best of luck on the WSJ and the MGWCC (and all the other metas released that I need to try to prevail over!):

4. The letters "T," "I," "M," and "E" all play a role in this grid (but the black squares do not!).

Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Alls y'allses' are playin' for second place. I just submitted the definitive answer which ain't got no nothin' to do with no none of them letters, neither.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Joe Ross wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:40 pm Alls y'allses' are playin' for second place. I just submitted the definitive answer which ain't got no nothin' to do with no none of them letters, neither.
I will contend Joe's answer, with corresponding graphic, is pretty epic.

HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

I want to know what that epic answer is! I didn’t get to this until late last night (again, work is completely spoiling my meta fun!!). This was so clever and well executed!
The other Wendy. :roll:
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

HeadinHome wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:41 am I want to know what that epic answer is! I didn’t get to this until late last night (again, work is completely spoiling my meta fun!!). This was so clever and well executed!
Oh, you'll see it, haha.

Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Finally got it, but I needed every "spoiler" provided by @MikeyG and especially @KayW. Very nicely done!
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

I only started on this today and needed through Nudge 3. Nice construction!