MEOW#163 First Impressions

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Cat free with very little hissing! Thanks!
The other Wendy. :roll:
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

Cat’s out, Tom. Thanks!
Konnie
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

Cat's out with a nudge and currently glaring at me for taking so long 😂

Thanks Dr. Tom!
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

SamKat9 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:07 pm Cat's out with a nudge and currently glaring at me for taking so long 😂

Thanks Dr. Tom!
Oh, I've seen that around here before:
waiting cat.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

A VERY good turn out for day 1:

1 Laura M
2 benchen71
3 Cindy Heisler
4 LarsCaine
5 Pair O Ducks
6 Hector
7 Mr Tex
8 markhr
9 boharr
10 hcbirker
11 Scrivimancer
12 dannyvee
13 lbray53
14 Meg
15 JM
16 Cindy Weatherman
17 Mwoychick
18 andeux
19 CPJohnson
20 MatthewL
21 KayW
22 Darth
23 Chris Kockmanski
24 whimsy
25 Philip Chow
26 woozy
27 HeadinHome
28 Imontoo
29 SamKat9

Twenty nine (well 30 really) solvers and almost (emphasis on almost) universally liked. I know this will grind to a halt around 4 PM tomorrow afternoon, but I can only hope there are a bunch more before that! Thank you to all who tried it.

T
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
rjy

Post by rjy »

Another cat freed, so recalculate your universally liked ratio! Should have seen it sooner, but a fun one to keep revisiting over the course of the day. Always happy to see a DrTom in the cycle, and this did not disappoint. Cheers!
Ray
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

A quartet of Thursday solvers raises the total to 33:

30 rjy
31 DIS
32 Jaclyn
33 Berto

Since I will be busy tomorrow having people stick needles in my eye (treatment for Macular Degeneration is an intravitreal injection of a drug that stops new vessel development - it is a good deal less barbaric than it sounds, though I did ask at the initial visit if I had to cross my heart and hope to die) I am going to post the nudges forthwith.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Nudges:

There meta answer is 10 letters

The theme answers are symmetrically placed

All the relevant answers have the same characteristic

The first title of this puzzle was "Initial Impressions"
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Cat is free now!
ajk

Post by ajk »

Funny how the nudges didn't really tell me anything I wasn't already thinking, but still managed to get me to see the thing I was missing. :lol:
Fun stuff, thanks.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
SJMcK

Post by SJMcK »

Cat’s out
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

ajk wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:23 pm Funny how the nudges didn't really tell me anything I wasn't already thinking, but still managed to get me to see the thing I was missing. :lol:
Fun stuff, thanks.
So glad you enjoyed it. Yes, isn't that always the way with nudges; you read them and say but I KNEW that and all of a sudden your mind says, "yes but you knew it but you didn't use it!!!" I know mine often does.

Knew that.jpg
T
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Wow, 10 more! The power of persistence!!!

34 Carolyn
35 Dow Jones
36 DCBilly
37 Quiara
38 LB800
39 ajk
40 Ergcat
41 BarbaraK
42 Johnny Luau
43 SJMcK
think_i_can.jpg
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

Cat is free! Thanks, DrTom!

I love finally having some downtime to sit with my laptop and a cup of coffee and catch up on the metas from the week. It's a comfort to crank through a CapnRick or Ben or DrTom or Mikey or any of the familiar constructors... especially the early month easier ones. :D
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Cat's out. Thanks, Dr T!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

edestlin wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:58 am Cat is free! Thanks, DrTom!

I love finally having some downtime to sit with my laptop and a cup of coffee and catch up on the metas from the week. It's a comfort to crank through a CapnRick or Ben or DrTom or Mikey or any of the familiar constructors... especially the early month easier ones. :D
Thanks for solving...now let's put our energy into cheering on the Lions!!! It's been a long time since there was a playoff berth!

T
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well now 6 more:

44 hoover
45 Madhatter5
46 edestlin
47 Darrell
48 Jeremy Smith
49 Steve M

Darn near the half century mark. The puzzle is making an impression it appears!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Over the half century mark!!!!

50 Sharkicicles
51 SJ

I was delighted to see two more solvers today, and let me go back in time and say how happy I was to see the REAL Madhatter as one of my solvers. I know he has to take time off from very important studied to solve so I am honored that he chose top spend some of, what I am sure is sparse, free time with my offering.

T
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

The Reveal:

I think people were expecting this to be a lot more sophisticated than it was. Like most of my puzzles, the solve is straight forward; (1) find the "trick" (2) get the letters...of course I guess that describes most metas. Anyway this one has to do with initialisms:

First Impression Graphic reveal.jpg

I so want to thank the 50+ of you who solved this. You get two weeks off from me while I entertain some Northern visitors, and then back to the salt mines. Whimsy and benchen71 both have challenges lined up for you and I know you will enjoy them both.