76. Back to the Beginning

Puzzles! Puns! The occasional crosswordese! Solve a new meta at the end of each of month at https://punofakind.blogspot.com/
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Bird Lives wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:51 pm It's a beautiful feat of construction when the answer fits perfectly with the mechanism, and in this puzzle, it's doubly so, or maybe triply.
This is definitely the goal, and it's pretty cool if I can get all/most of the way there. Thanks so much!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
Darth

Post by Darth »

MikeyG! WOW! Awesome sauce, right there! ;)
KayW

Post by KayW »

Wowza! Finally got this after being stuck for way too long on step 1. Brilliant construction - thanks and back at ya!

(and I am also interested in that wild acrostic if it still exists, please and thank you).
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

JUST saw this one posted today.. way late. Thoroughly enjoyed figuring this one out! Clever.
The other Wendy. :roll:
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

We're at 40 solves so far, including Jangler, who solved this in 8 minutes, for what it's worth.

The de facto deadline has passed, but I'll still offer some nudges! I'll probably reveal for meta #77 this upcoming Saturday.

1. The clues are definitely relevant for this one! A lot of them are very peculiarly worded.

2. In fact, you might notice something in common with the clues and the entries in the grid!

3. Per the title, words/entries being spelled backward comes into play here.

4. 1-Across is actually relevant! The anodyne "Subway alternative" = BUS actually comes into play.

5. There are 16 clues that are relevant in all - a lot had to be packed into this grid!

6. When you find all the key entries, do something with their initial letters...this is also backward!

See you on Saturday! Hope we're having a great holiday season thus far,

Mikey G

hoover

Post by hoover »

Apparently I had all the pieces but they were scrambled. Waiting for the reveal to see what I missed.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

hoover wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:58 pm Apparently I had all the pieces but they were scrambled.
You've just described my brain.

Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

MikeyG wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:00 pm
hoover wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:58 pm Apparently I had all the pieces but they were scrambled.
You've just described my brain.
You bake my nerves and you scramble my brain!

Your kind of solving sautés creators inane...

(with apologies... going back to 🥴🥱😴, now)
woozy

Post by woozy »

Somehow never saw this one until today. Got the first step almost immediately and I love it, played around with the second. Entered the correct answer but... I'm missing something. (EDIT: ARGH! No, I wasn't missing anything. I just made some mistransliterations in my notes.)

Great puzzle. Angry at myself for making dumb errors but a great puzzle.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Puzzle #76 answer: MANY HAPPY RETURNS

Correct entries: 46

Gridmaster T in once again for graphics!

This probably took about 6 to 8 hours to construct, mainly because I was searching in earnest for all those pesky entries, many of which appeared convolutedly in clues (probably itself a hint). The obscure Yorkshire Country Cricket Club player named ROY was the last to drop.

Sixteen entries have the answers to their clues hidden backward in the beginning of the clues, seen in the graphic. When we take the last letters of those entries, in right-to-left, bottom-to-top order, we spell out MANY HAPPY RETURNS, the answer to the meta!

And even though it is now the new year, I still wish MANY HAPPY RETURNS to you in 2024! Here's to a joyous, puzzle-filled year!

Mikey G