"Merry Travels" by ajk

Formerly known as the “Sunday Summer Substitute”, editor Cap'n Rick now takes the helm for 'Smooth Sailing Sundays'. As The Commodores sang about Sunday morning, the SSS will focus on easier metas. SSS will also support smaller grids and will mentor new constructors on request. Puzzles released each Sunday around 8am Eastern. Nudges released same day at Noon Eastern. New constructors are welcome.
hoover

Post by hoover »

Sssolved without nudges!
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

SSSolved - thanks, @ajk and Merry Christmas!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

I don’t even know if I posted on CrossHare (I always do these on screenshot/paint first)… but this was a fun Christmas Sunday treat!
The other Wendy. :roll:
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

SSSolved early yesterday. Guessed before starting, but way more fun to actually figure it out. Nice one!
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
ajk

Post by ajk »

Additional solvers (alphabetical, please let me know if I'm missing any):
AKS
Anita
Anita and Steve
CPJohnson
Dow Jones
DrTom
Jaclyn
Jeremy Smith
Jess
Jim23809
Mwoychick
Pair O Ducks
Philip Chow
SJMcK
SamKat9
Sendhil Revuluri
Sharkicicles
Tom Wilson
Tyrpmom
dooiemus
emmie
hoover
lbray53
woozy
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
ajk

Post by ajk »

The meta answer is SLEIGH.

OK, the inspiration for this one was obviously the time of year. I also wanted to experiment with a hide-words-in-wacky-themers type of puzzle. So, sharp- (or probably even blunt-) eyed solvers noticed that there were six rather unusual entries:

17A Standard way a famous king might answer the phone = MIDASHERE
21A Legal doc. verifying a type of car's roadworthiness, say = SEDANCERT
26A "Everyone wants internet origin stories from me, because my ____" = POPRANCERN [the web started at CERN]
48A Italian fountain's noble gas? = TREVIXENON
53A Greater environs of a central Texas populated area = WACOMETRO
64A Hero of an English football tournament, perhaps = FACUPIDOL

With a prompt from the title to think Christmas thoughts, it doesn't take too long to spot one of Santa's famous reindeer hiding in each of these themers (as shown below). So what is a mode of transport associated with these reindeer? Why, Santa's SLEIGH of course, so SLEIGH is our meta answer. Not a difficult leap, but also not a required one, because if we examine the first letters of the theme clues, low and behold, they explicitly spell out the answer.

But wait you say, what about poor DONNER and BLITZEN? Well, turns out there was no room for them in the grid (it was hard enough to fill as-is :lol:). But they're not totally left out: as shown below they're hiding in the clues for 16A and 66A, respectively. Plus, the last two reindeer were originally DUNDER and BLIXEM apparently, so for good measure they can be found in the 9A and 69A clues.

Finally, thanks to @Wendy Walker for asking after RUDOLPH, who wasn't initially included. And for co-constructing the new 19A clue that fixed that problem. :)

Hope everyone enjoyed, and thanks as always for the kind comments.
merry travels reveal.png
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer