Back to the Beginning Mega Meta 2023

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
hcbirker

Back to the Beginning Mega Meta 2023

Post by hcbirker »

Heidi
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Grid took forever! I already submitted the mega meta but that was a clever reveal!
Heidi
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Totally lost track of time this year to attempt the mega, but I have step one so far (I think.)
MMe

Post by MMe »

Hmm. I got the Mega a while back, and I see how the (very similar) reveal works in this puzzle, but I don't get the title of this puzzle. Any non-spoilery tips or DMs appreciated!
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

Already submitted the mega meta, but tough grid!
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
markhr

Post by markhr »

On board. Congrats to those who got the Mega Meta early. I saw each monthly hint but completely misunderstood what they were telling me. Maybe next year.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I have received an email saying my submission was correct. However, even after looking through the 12 monthly puzzles, I still have absolutely no idea how these answers were to be derived!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Hmm. Usually I don't have trouble getting the meta answer from the mega reveal puzzle, but this time I'm stuck after one or one and a half steps. I'll work on it when I have a chance. :?
boharr

Post by boharr »

On the board (with help).
Googly

Post by Googly »

Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Question:
In the past I've gotten the Mega-Meta prior to this point so I'm not sure if this puzzle requires using info from the first 12 or if it stands on its own.
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Dannyvee wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:30 pm Question:
In the past I've gotten the Mega-Meta prior to this point so I'm not sure if this puzzle requires using info from the first 12 or if it stands on its own.
It stands on its own. You don't need the prior puzzles.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I got the mega meta a couple months ago, so I solved this puzzle just because... well, how could I not?

I'd wondered how Pete could fit the whole year's worth of mega stuff in one puzzle. And he didn't, not exactly. The basic mechanism is the same and the answers are the same, but the details are not quite.

Someone commented that this one is a lot easier if you already know the answer, and I can't argue with that. But I also think that the reveal meta truly is easier than the multi-piece mega meta.

So if you didn't solve beforehand, I'd encourage you to go back and look at the 12 previous puzzles (or at least read Pete's write-up next Tuesday about how they worked) to appreciate all the nuances in them.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Got it, thanks to confirmation I was on the right track. Kudos to all who solved during the year! Amazing job!!
After this puzzle, I went back to the monthly puzzles and found pretty much the same first steps but I was still stuck.
But after getting the meta answers in the reveal, I went back again and worked on it and solved - wow. I don't know how people got it during the year!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

benchen71 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:07 am I have received an email saying my submission was correct. However, even after looking through the 12 monthly puzzles, I still have absolutely no idea how these answers were to be derived!
My first year doing these, so I misinterpreted things. I didn't know there was a 13th puzzle! I thought it was just using all 12 of the first puzzles in tandem to figure out what was going on. Retroactively, I see a clue in the first puzzle - but not sure about the other 11! I'll take a look later.

So much talent, both cruciverbally and musically from Pete! This was a great addition to my puzzling experience this year!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
MattGaffney

Post by MattGaffney »

Is anyone here able to blog the Muller Mega Meta for Fiend? I’m not able to do it tonight. Even a very brief post would be helpful.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

MattGaffney wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:15 pm Is anyone here able to blog the Muller Mega Meta for Fiend? I’m not able to do it tonight. Even a very brief post would be helpful.
I might have time later today. Would I need a special login or posting permission?

Edit: Looks like you were able to take care of it without me. But happy to help in the future, time-zones permitting! :D
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Nice job Hector on the writeup.

I didn't get it this year, mainly because I had never heard one of the two songs (I got the first song about 2 minutes after looking up all the lyrics in the clues.)

Looking forward to seeing how the mega-meta worked over the year.