Rows Garden, 9 Dec 2023

A place for discussion about variety puzzles such as acrostics, marching bands, rows and gardens, and diagramless.
iggystan

Rows Garden, 9 Dec 2023

Post by iggystan »

Another fine effort by PB. This one went pretty quickly. I do find it odd that I seem to work these from bottom to top most of the time.
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

iggystan wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:48 pm I do find it odd that I seem to work these from bottom to top most of the time.
As with this one, I start by solving as many blooms as I can and then get a foothold with a row.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

I usually start with rows, then try blooms, but you know, when I’ve started with blooms — getting as many of them as I can before tackling the rows — I believe I’ve solved faster.

I’m now getting THREE Rows Gardens per week (yikes!) — Joon Pahk, Michael Blake, and Andrew Ries — so there’ll be plenty of opportunities to compare methods.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Nice one! Usually I see if I can get a toehold by solving the shorter top or bottom row and then their corresponding blooms... which was my path today.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

Richard B. wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:45 am
iggystan wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:48 pm I do find it odd that I seem to work these from bottom to top most of the time.
As with this one, I start by solving as many blooms as I can and then get a foothold with a row.
I, too, solve as many blooms as I can before tackling the rows, but it seems like I always start with the bottom ones. This week, I got the majority of the blooms right off the bat.
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

For those who might be interested, the New Yorker December cartoons and puzzles issue has a number of variety puzzles, including one from Patrick Berry and a few others that were fun to explore. Find it here:
https://www.newyorker.com/cartoons-and-puzzles-2023