"Shortchanged" December 8, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Darth wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:18 pm On Naboo. "This will be a day long remembered." (Episode IV: A New Hope™)

[P.S. Can I put in a plug for the MMM this week? Please give it a try! "Make Mine Marvel" --> https://www.xword-muggles.com/viewtopic.php?t=2557 ]
The MMM is indeed Marvelous
Jackie J

Post by Jackie J »

Yoo-hoo. Ashore! Challenging but a very fun solve. Happy Friday all.
femullen

Post by femullen »

Ashore at last, ashore at last! Thank God Almighty, I'm ashore at last!

After the longest wet spell ever.

I'll have something wet. G n T me.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
Lyman

Post by Lyman »

Ashore!
LarsCaine

Post by LarsCaine »

Made it!
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

woozy wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:28 am
Susan Goldberg wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:30 am I’m still with Isaac. I have an idea I refuse to let go of, though that may be a mistake.
It's probably not. One just has to chew on this one, but its there with no tricks or funny turns. You just have to work it. If you idea is not working then give it just a tiny variation. It wasn't in the exact first place I looked but it was just off center and slightly tilted but basically still the first idea.
Thank you!! You are so right. I had the right idea, just needed to perfect it! I am on shore for the weekend!
Bonnibel

Post by Bonnibel »

Ashore, very fun puzzle.

Have a great weekend everyone!
🌴🍹
Harbo

Post by Harbo »

Ashore. It was no cakewalk.
Toby

Post by Toby »

Did you ever notice that the last thing you tried (after many) worked?
Joe

Post by Joe »

I sure needed help. But I got there!
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
Barnhart6

Post by Barnhart6 »

On shore! Jameson with a lite lunch please! Cruising tomorrow….
Thanks to all the muggles in this group. Participating is the highlight of the week!
Brian B
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

On shore. Even after I found the right strategy, I had to do a bit of juggling. Fun puzzle, though.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

On shore. I had it but did not know it and needed assistance to see it. I wanted it to be perfect. Once again, perfect was thd enemy of good.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Mister Squawk

Post by Mister Squawk »

Leapt directly over the simple solution into a thicket of troubles, but now I've recovered and made it to shore.
Merry Potter

Post by Merry Potter »

Made it to shore... late to the game ;) Going to have a nice cold brew after this week.
If I don't win a mug, I can always make one... ;) but it won't have the same cachet.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Toby wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:29 pm Did you ever notice that the last thing you tried (after many) worked?
No. I always keep trying (sometimes for years) after I get the one that works. Doesn't everyone?
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

REMINDER: Today is a great day of the Muggle Week because it is Muggle Zoom Friday at 4:30 pm Eastern Time!! Please plan to join us as we tackle the miriad of meta possiblilities and untangle the skein of potential rabbit holes. And, of course, discuss whatever is percolating in the land of muggledom.

Click on the Muggle Zoom Room tab at the top of the page to join. All are welcome!! (That means you.)
Last edited by ship4u on Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Eric Porter wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:36 pm I'm on shore, though I suspect Isaac may be busy this week.

On that subject, in the WSJ's Thursday crossword, the clue for 4D was 'Bartender on "The Love Boat"'.
Nice to see that someone else enjoys the daily WSJ Crossword and not only the Friday Meta! The Thursday puzzle this week was quite clever.
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

lbray53 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:06 pm Once again, perfect was thd enemy of good.
It's worse than that. One of my professors in graduate school used to remind us that better is often the enemy of good!!! :)
Don & Cynthia

Birdbrain

Post by Birdbrain »

Have an in-person meeting at 1pm (PST) today so I'm going to miss the zoom. My sister may listen in since I have her hooked after we were together last Friday! We're working on some ideas...
Robin P