MEOW #157 Tea Mascot

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
hoover

Post by hoover »

GROAN!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

hoover wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:43 pmGROAN!
Gosh I hate to see a man cry groan.....(thanks for the set up!)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Day three board:
36 SamKat9
37 Dow Jones
38 Mg305
39 Steve M
40 Cindy Heisler
41 andeux
42 MikeyG
43 hoover

Nudges seem to have helped some folks and perhaps the rest are struggling with the WSJ as I was. I feel sooooo dumb!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Cat out of the bag - thanks, Dr. Tom!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Saturday Solvers:

44 Abide (T)
45 MWoychick
46 Philip Chow
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Needed to read the nudges today after staring at the themers for days. Finally saw the light! Thanks DrTom!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

With the addition of Qmark, the sole Sunday solver, we have:

47 Qmark
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

It would appear that solving for TEA MASCOT is complete. Over 24 hours with no additional attempts, so I will give myself a brak and not have to get up at 0700 to post the reveal, I'll do it now:

My kitten ended up scratching a lot of folks...

The intent was good; say the title and many would hear TEAM MASCOT instead of TEA MASCOT.

Then the next step was all of the crazy long fills:

BARKSANDPAWS

PARKSANDDRAWS

MARKINGSAWS

HARKINGFLAWS

Not terms that come up in everyday conversation but ALL that sound like ARKANSAS when said aloud.
TEA MASCOT GRAPHIC REVEAL.jpg
Therefore, we are looking for the ARKANSAS TEAM MASCOT which happens to be a wild animal, the RAZOZRBACK (and I accepted several variations and species drift). If you needed verification, clue 1A and 70A give it in that 1A clues a razor and 70A clue the back of the neck.

I am sorry if I underestimated it, from here on out I'll get others to rate it or leave it unrated and let you all decide.

T
rjy

Post by rjy »

Well duh! I did not get this, not for lack of oft-repeated utterances of the themers - when no one was around of course. I did identify the razorbacks on the tea kettle, but didn’t piece it all together from Arkansas. Oh well… the journey can still be amusing even if you don’t reach the destination… and it was!
Ray
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

rjy wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:58 am Well duh! I did not get this, not for lack of oft-repeated utterances of the themers - when no one was around of course. I did identify the razorbacks on the tea kettle, but didn’t piece it all together from Arkansas. Oh well… the journey can still be amusing even if you don’t reach the destination… and it was!
Truthfully, the BEST answer was an alternate I got from a solver. He thought sure the wild animal was the:
SHARKINJAWS

I like that much better than the one I had truthfully!

Tom