MGWCC #808 — "Follow the Instructions" by Ben Chenoweth

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Pretty sure I am beamed. If so very happy to get a week 4 even if an easier one!!!

Stay well

Update - confirmed! 😀😀😀
Last edited by Streroto on Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Downs-only, no-instructions! Submitted blind - still haven’t looked at the prompt… waiting first to see if I’ve been beamed up.

Was a pretty difficult one to solve this way, and truth be told I had to peek at a few across clues. Curious if anyone got it without a peek or two, it was a very difficult grid for obvious reasons - in hindsight.

But congrats, Ben! So happy to see your name pop up on this! And a fun, challenging puzzle at that.

Edited: Beamed!
Last edited by rjy on Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ray
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Beamed, pending confirmation. Somehow with @benchen71's metas, I either see it right away or... really, really not :-) Glad I eventually did get there! Congrats Ben!!
johnaldape

Post by johnaldape »

I have (what I believe people are calling) part 1, but am stuck on part 2. Can anyone DM me with a part 2 nudge?
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

I had part one very quickly, then it took me a couple days before I got part two of the instructions. I have learned a new term, but I can’t follow the instructions.
Trish

Post by Trish »

Submitted in the nick of time! I agree with SusieG….got the first step quickly but struggled with the second step til…..duh it all fits together. Now the first part makes sense! 😜
Jade

Post by Jade »

If anyone sees this in time, would love a nudge via DM. We have the grid but absolutely no clue where to start on the meta, nothing standing out at all.
Jade

Post by Jade »

Got it! Thanks to johnaldape for the assist. :)
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Matt's email said that the deadline is noon Friday. But last night and this morning, when I went to xwordcontest website, the door was locked and all the windows were shuttered.
Closed.jpg
Jay
Jade

Post by Jade »

He mentioned in his e-mail that you might need to e-mail him the answer rather than submitting online if you were doing it after noon on Thursday.
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

Matt foresaw this possibility in his original email and said:

"Deadline for submission is Friday, December 1st at noon ET. The website's being a little wonky with the late deadline, though, so if you submit after noon on Thursday you may need to email me your entry at crosswordcontest@gmail.com. Just an FYI there..."

Easy to have forgotten, though, I'm sure.
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

If anyone is still looking for very last minute help, I'm around for the next half hour, or so.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Bird Lives wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:35 am Matt's email said that the deadline is noon Friday. But last night and this morning, when I went to xwordcontest website, the door was locked and all the windows were shuttered.
Closed.jpg
I got that at the very beginning on Tuesday when I submitted. But I was on the board shortly after I was there.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Screen Shot 2023-12-01 at 11.53.57 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-12-01 at 11.54.08 AM.png
-Tamara
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Oh, so the answer was just OVERFLOW? I thought it was part of the instructions.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

(8) 5-letter horizontal entries, symmetrical in the grid, start with a single letter & combine with a whole word.

The single letters within those (8) answers give the instruction to ADD ONE TO.

FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS is the title.

ADD ONE letter TO each of the whole words of the (8) entries & find new entries in the grid using those letters.

The added letters to the second set of (8) grid entries, in original (8) entries order, speel OVERFLOW, the 8-letter word of the meta prompt.
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

I got there pretty quickly, but I did have a point where I was wondering what I was supposed to add one to. I tried adding one to 'ADD ONE TO' itself, by incrementing each letter one place in the alphabet. That gives you BEEP OF UP, which almost seems like it could mean something in a meta :)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's my answer graphic:

IMG_20231202_070538_(500_x_1116_pixel).png

I was very happy to help Matt out this week, and would do so again any time! :D
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock: