"Follow The Dejections" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

MOAT crossed...thanks Ben!
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Over the moat and into the castle. Thanks, Ben!
ajk

Post by ajk »

Got it, and currently baffled as to how I didn't get it yesterday. :lol:
Fun stuff, thanks.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Some more solvers:

Mr Tex
SeamusOL
Qmark
Jeremy Smith
Katiedid
ajk
Gutman

That brings us up to 42. Nudges in the (Aussie) morning!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Two more, bringing us to 44:

ChrisCross
Rufus T Firefly
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. There are no hints in the grid, just lots of chatty clues thanks to one too many gin-and-tonics that I imbibed today. The title is all you have to go by.

2. There are no asterisks either, so I sure hope you can find synonyms for "dejected" hiding in the grid without them!

3. 64 across (SADE) is not just in the grid because she occurs in so many crosswords it would be impossible to count them all without a higher-level university degree in mathematics.

4. You are looking for 6 "dejections".
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Finally crossed the moat. Thanks, Ben.
Cindy Heisler
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

Crossed the Moat with the first 2 nudges, though I am kicking myself for using them! Thanks for another fun puzzle Ben!
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

Crossed the moat with no nudges. Thanks, Ben!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Last update:

Max Chemtov
Spid4567
Cindy Heisler
SamKat9
edestlin
Darrell

That's 50 in total.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the solution to "Follow The Dejections":

Follow The Dejections (solution).png

The adjective MOROSE always makes me think of the song "Skin" by the group Vigilantes of Love. The song comes off my favourite album of 1995, "Blister Soul", and the word "morose" occurs in verse 2, for those playing along at home.