"Name The Horror Movie" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Moat navigated. Confirmed on Crosshare
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Moat crossed, film not seen. I have seen only two horror films that I can think of. Neither is really a horror film, but both have horror in the title. I keep thinking they might make good metas, but I have no idea how.
Jay
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Solver update for you:

HeadinHome
LarsCaine
Bird Lives
Jaclyn
DrTom
kymike

That brings us to 46... and nudges! :D
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. There are actually three potential paths to the solution. At least, my hope is that you think you might have the solution, and then the other paths will confirm that you are correct.

2. The central down clue is a hint.

3. The four names in the corners (across clues) are suggestive, perhaps with a judicious Google search.

4. The hardest path is the one associated with the three 15-letter entries. But it will be the most confirming.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
ajk

Post by ajk »

Needed the third nudge to point me to something that should have been obvious, after which it fell quickly. Fun one, thanks.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Crawled across the moat. It was the third nudge that helped me see what was so obvious, it should have been the first thing I noticed. I think I was thrown by the prompt and was concentrating on the 15-letter entries.
I've never seen the movie, but got it with the help of Google. Thanks, Ben!
Cindy Heisler
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

A solver update for you:

SeamusOL
Spid4567
DCBilly
Johnny Luau
rayyandroid
Sharkicicles
ajk
kurtalert
Cindy Heisler
Mg305

That's 56. Next (and last) update Monday morning Aussie time before the answer reveal!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Needed nudges; I don't know horror movies. Thanks for the puzzle, Ben!
Cynthia
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

Crossed the MOAT with nudges! Thanks, Ben!
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Just 3 more solvers, bringing us to a grand total of 59:

CPJohnson
SamKat9
Alex Sisti

It's time for the answer reveal...
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the solution to "Name The Horror Movie":

Name The Horror Movie (solution).png

The long entries themselves are vaguely horror movie tropes or, in the case of RUNS IN THE FAMILY, somewhat related to the plot of the movie in question. I remember placing the F R and I and then combing through the Crosshare suggestions for something suitable.

Now, I know horror movies are not everyone's cup of tea. To be perfectly honest, they are not my cup of tea! I haven't even seen "Friday the 13th" and have no immediate plans to do so. So, for Halloween next year, I've got something quite different planned... :D