Small Business

Formerly known as the “Sunday Summer Substitute”, editor Cap'n Rick now takes the helm for 'Smooth Sailing Sundays'. As The Commodores sang about Sunday morning, the SSS will focus on easier metas. SSS will also support smaller grids and will mentor new constructors on request. Puzzles released each Sunday around 8am Eastern. Nudges released same day at Noon Eastern. New constructors are welcome.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

First guess wrong, second one right. Thanks Jay!
Heidi
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Will get to this tomorrow -- meantime, not peeking at spoilers!
Untitledzznonudge.png
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

On Day One, 36 solvers crowded into the room -- what the French call a ménage à trente-six (solvers familiar with the TV show in question will understand)
Solvers.png
Presumably, others will come knocking while there's still candy to be given out.
Jay
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

Needed the first nudge, then it hit me.
Thanks for the puzzle.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Finally Sssolved with a bit of help. Thanks, Jay.
Cindy Heisler
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Took longer than it should have, at least one guess and then the most depressing of spoilers, but hey I SSSolved. Thanks Jay
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
ajk

Post by ajk »

Had the idea quickly, but was trying to do the wrong things with it. In the end the first nudge bailed me out. Clever one, thanks.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

SSSolved --
Untitledzzsnaketv.png
Not only does he like to watch, just try getting the remote away from him.

Thanks for the antidote to last week's puzzle, Jay!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Since Monday’s report, another dozen solvers came trick-or-treating.

37. Berto
38. JHSeeman
39. lbray53
40. Cindy Heisler
41. DrTom
42. Laura M
43. Mikey G
44. ajk
45. DCBilly
46. MarkWoychick
47. whimsy
48. Mr Tex

I’ve still got a dozen more more bags of candy left. Really. Either the demographics around here have changed, or kids are finding other things to do. So in case other late arrivals are still trying to find the solution, here is one more nudge.

The introduction cops to the derivative nature of this puzzle. Basically, I stole if from Matt Gaffney’s WSJ puzzle of last Friday. The answer shares an important element with the answer to that puzzle. So does the mechanism.
Jay
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

The final total is 50. For some reason Crosshare had judged the correct answers of two solvers (BethA and Tyrpmom) as incorrect.

The answer is “Three’s Company.”
Solution.jpg
All of the border entries and the two three-letter across entries are the names of companies.

Several solvers had SNL as their first guess, but that is merely an abbreviation. The show, as you can see in all the TV listings, is “Saturday Night Live.” The companies in the grid may have started out as their full names (e.g., Radio Corporation of America), but they are now known officially by their letters. Other wrong answers: “FBI“ (logical, I guess), but also “Friends,” “Seinfeld,” “The Andy Griffith Show,” and “Mork and Mindy.” Go figure.

Thanks to all for the kind comments.
Jay
BethA

Post by BethA »

Bird Lives wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:19 pm The final total is 50. For some reason Crosshare had judged the correct answers of two solvers (BethA and Tyrpmom) as incorrect.
How strange! Crosshare must have it in for me! It told me last week that my answer to Abide’s “Cheeky Dude” was incorrect, too!

Thanks for the puzzle!