Matt Gaffney Q&A October 28, 2023

This is a place to learn about the Muggles community and some of the terminology we use. It also contains suggested strategies for solving meta crosswords, as well as a repository of all past WSJ crossword contests and solutions.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Matt Gaffney Q&A October 28, 2023

Post by Bob cruise director »

We have set up a Question and Answer session with Matt Gaffney on Saturday October 28 at 7:30 pm ET.

Because of the expected number of people we will be using a different zoom link which I will publish in a couple of weeks.

Everyone is welcome, both experienced meta participants and new ones.

We will use a different format than our regular free for all. I will be the moderator and mute everyone. To ask a question of Matt we will have it so you can raise your hand electronically or send a question using the chat. (If that does not mean anything to you come to the zoom training session).

If you are not familiar with Zoom we have plenty of time to bring you up to speed. I can either run a group training sessions or individual ones. If you are interested, send me a PM and let me know your preference.

If I missed anything please let me know via a PM

Matt is looking forward to it. It should be a lot of fun.

Bob
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Matt likes to meet all meta enthusiasts in person rather than just have the screen name that he sees on the WSJ, MGWCC or other so it works best if you have your camera on and have your name on the screen show both your screen name(s) and your real name rather than have iPhone2 or something. So I will have mine as Bob Stevens (Cruise Director).

Electronically raising your hand - We expect well over 100 people on the zoom call. My screen only shows 25 at one time. If you want to ask a question it is imperative that you raise your hand ELECTRONICALLY. When you do this zoom will bring you to the first screen and I will know that you want to ask a question.

Option 2 for asking a question is to post it in CHAT.

Option 3 is to send me a Private Message before the Q&A session especially if you can't make it.

Performing each of these tasks is slightly different depending on if you are using a computer, tablet or smart phone. We can have sessions beforehand to work out the process.

The Q&A will be recorded and posted on the forum page.

Zoom jumps to background noise very quickly so it is imperative that you keep yourself muted whenever you are not asking a question. As the zoom host, I will be muting anyone who is not asking a question. If you find yourself muted and you did not do it, I did it but don't take it personally.

Before the session, make sure that you know how to turn on your camera and have your microphone working.
Last edited by Bob cruise director on Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

In preparation for the Q&A, I will be getting on the regular Tuesday 7:30 pm zoom calls on Tuesday October 17 and 24 an hour early so that I can work with anyone on resolving any technical issues on zoom. Just enter the zoom link at the top of the page.

If you need or want a one on one session, send me a PM and we can set it up.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

For anyone who has two devices on in the same room to watch the Q&A (computer and iPad or iPhone), it is imperative that at least one of them is muted at all times otherwise we will get an echoing that is very disruptive.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

If anyone has trouble signing in to the Q&A on Saturday, the meeting number is 848 2537 7231
and the passcode is 704 744
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Thank you for all of your work on this, Bob!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Thanks for setting this up! I’m so looking forward to it!

A protocol question: if we have multiple questions, should we ask all of them when we’re called on? Or just one and get back in line to give others a chance before asking the next?
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Not too often one has direct access to the best in the world at anything - thanks to Matt and Mike for a wonderful evening! And thanks to Bob and the muggle community who made this possible.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Cliff notes/recap/highlights? When will the recording be available?
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
KayW

Post by KayW »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:01 pm Good morning muggles

We had a great time last night. Here are two links. The first one from last night and the second one from the first Q&A. Thanks to everyone for participating and asking great questions. We say it over and over but this is an unbelievable group.

Last night's session

June 2021 session
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I just rewatched the video for the moment when Matt threw a question to me (around the 1 hour 15 minute mark) entirely unexpectedly! If you watch the video closely I am doing something on my second screen (I think I was deep-diving in the Gaffney archive on this forum) and suddenly I have to answer a question... :o

abort.gif

Hopefully, I made some sort of sense! :D
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

What a fun evening! Thanks to Matt, Mike Shenk, Bob, everyone who put it together! What a great group!

Now here's to a puzzling day...after I get my work done first, of course!

Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
ajk

Post by ajk »

benchen71 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:43 pm Hopefully, I made some sort of sense! :D
Finally finished watching the recording (had to miss it live), and it looked totally smooth to me. :)

Thanks @Bob cruise director for organizing this. It was much less of a free-for-all than I expected. :lol:
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer